forgotten relms (D&D)

Discussion in 'Games' started by KooBrewoP, Jan 16, 2005.

1. KooBrewoP macrumors regular

KooBrewoP

i just finished baldurs gate 2 - and ordered TOBall expansion pack but which title comes next in the series?

p.s. how is a wild mage different from any other wizard - other than making mistakes every once in a while? - is there any good risen to play as a wild mage, the description says they are powerful, but does that mean they have more intelligence, hit points or what?

2. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

neverwinter nights would be the next in the series
    icewind dale is part of the world too but it is more of a dungeon crawl than a true RPG,
    Wild mage - makes mistakes sometimes, other times casts spells beyond level so can be super powerfull and have random effects, I havent played BGII TOB for a while, still trying to finish original NWN.
    But I remember there were a few realy good mac mods for BGII that made it worth playing again from the beginning
    hope that helps

3. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

neverwinter nights would be the next in the series
    icewind dale is part of the world too but it is more of a dungeon crawl than a true RPG,
    Wild mage - makes mistakes sometimes, other times casts spells beyond level so can be super powerfull and have random effects, I havent played BGII TOB for a while, still trying to finish original NWN.
    But I remember there were a few really good mac mods for BGII that made it worth playing again from the beginning
    hope that helps

4. Sauron's Master macrumors regular

To clarify, Neverwinter Nights is NOT next in the series. The Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games are not even set in the same time period as Neverwinter Nights. Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale are set around 1367 DR in the Forgotten Realms while Neverwinter Nights is around 1370 or 1371 DR. They were never meant to be a continuation of each other especially when NWN uses 3rd Edition D&D rules whiles BG and IWD use 2nd Edition AD&D rules.

Baldur's Gate III has yet to be announced officially but Atari has said that it intends to continue the franchise with another title. Neverwinter Nights II has been announced and is being developed by Obsidian Entertainment and I believe has an estimated release in 2006.

Wild mages are able to tap the wild magic effects that are occurring on Faerun after the Time of Troubles and thus have a chance of greatly increasing spell power, effects, or range but also at the cost of safety. From what I've seen, the benefits don't really outweigh the costs.

If you're looking for another RPG to play, I highly recommend Knights of the Old Republic which was also developed by Bioware.

5. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

When I said series I was talking about the Forgotten Realms setting not a linear progression.
    Since NWN, BGII and IWD are set in the same wolrd and have the same style of game play one can call it part of a series, but not like the Diablo ones.

6. Sauron's Master macrumors regular

NWN actually has a very different style of gameplay from BG and IWD. BG and IWD featured a six person party and thus allowed for more tactical combat situations while NWN limits to a single character and a henchman or two. There's also a rather large transition from the BG II and NWN in terms of NPC and party interaction where NWN seems to feature less of it. Meanwhile, there are major differences between the Infinity engine used in IWD and BG and the Aurora engine used with NWN. While they are based on the same game world, they seem significantly different enough to be considered two series. I understand where you're coming from but I can't agree with you.