Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
I've always used it as my failsafe FTP client for basic managing of hosted files since it was free some time ago. (Hooray!)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thanks for the heads up, I'm not really in the market for a file manager, but for free, I'll download it and give it a shot.

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
How many THUMBS UP CAN I GIVE THIS? dc dc dc dc dc, those the best thumbs up I could find...
[doublepost=1476134272][/doublepost]AND IT WORKS NOW!!! Yea!!!

I take that back, it's still buggy :(

I get the "freezing" after using it bug...

Well hopefully one day it will be bug free, (rMBP 2015/15)

Last edited:

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
Another thanks for the heads up!

Also their application Locko (password manager app) seems to be free too for both iOS and mac, I am a 1password devotee but if you aren't using a password manager and want one (any is better than none) check it out.
It looks to be a very lightweight, fast, clean app.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I got the app, and I'm trying to figure out why people are lauding it so much - it just seems like a dual paned Finder, or what am I missing?

Reactions: beachmusic

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
shows invisibles
Ok, but I can get Finder to do that, and I'm not that worked up over invisible files.

I'm not trying to sound like a pain, but I want to understand all of the love being sent to Forklift. Maybe I was hoping it was something along the lines of the Window's file explorer which I think is so much better then the Finder

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I like ForkLift for a thing or two. It's always my go-to file manager.

I always have issues with some of the competition;

Path Finder is just getting more terrible as the years progress. The app doesn't follow macOS shadows on the Desktop for instance - how long is that going to take? I do get that Path Finder doesn't have to be used a full on replacement for the Finder, but still. Also the badges on the Trash icon does not take on the current macOS style and sticks to obsolete graphics. Also the animations within Path Finder, like in the progress/info bar, takes away from the experience of using it as a Finder replacement. It takes too darn much time to get in and out and in does not need to be there.

Commander Pro could be used if the company behind did not have such a glorious history with Folx and the troubles uninstalling that particular app. I'm not totally hooked on Eltima, though I have thrown money towards Commander Pro and their Video player with their "stupid" activation/restore thing.

I'm not sure why my fascination with ForkLift is so great but it just is. It's not flawless. For instance I made an encrypted 7z archive and set my password for that file - upon extracting I was told that the checksum was at fault. That was within ForkLift. I could open in with Entropy.

-

I would like to see a modular file manager like the DirWork2 program on the Amiga. And even a DirectoryOpus5.5-like program. But I can see the issue with both. Having multiple windows open. I do think that one could make that in a smart way. It could be made as a entire Desktop replacement that way. With floating docks with animated graphics as an option.

-

Also ForkLift3 is in beta right now and looking sharp. Though it can't read Symbolic links from my Time Machine - like the "Latest" symlink. I've contacted the author.

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
What the above poster said, but the mainly the fact that to get a $20 app, out of the way for FREE... I mean it's not the greatest program, but I never wanted to pay more than $5 for it. So this helped out. I would give him $5 for it right now, but not $20. So getting it for free, is just REALLY COOL. I mean gees if I just said hey what is your PayPal address, and said here is $20 bucks. I would be like cool, Dairy Queen like crazy tonight! haha

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Whatever you're missing, I must be missing too.

I think the concept of file managers mean different things to different people according to their birth year and previous experience with such regardless of operating system used in the past 20-25 years.

Perhaps I need to let go of the 1990's - haha. It's tough though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.