Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suenification

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
I've had my MBP for a few days now, and it's the most gorgeous computer I've ever owned. Aside from making it thinner, and perhaps modifying the keyboard (I hear people have gripes), is there any more Apple can do to the external design of the MBP?

I can't think of any.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I've had my MBP for a few days now, and it's the most gorgeous computer I've ever owned. Aside from making it thinner, and perhaps modifying the keyboard (I hear people have gripes), is there any more Apple can do to the external design of the MBP?

I can't think of any.

How about LEDS. I hear thats the next big thing from the dark side :D

Oh and a spoiler of some sort.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Other complaints regarding the MBP that I have heard (as I don't have one) have been concerning heat and wireless range. Also, they need to make it like the MacBook- easily replaceable hard disks and memory- if they haven't already.

Nightkrawler

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
Vienna, Austria
Notebook computer itself:
# Touchpad backlighting (just arround the corners and mouse button)
# Invisible right mouse button
# Dedicated media playback buttons on the notebook
# isight led arround the isight camera
# Powerswitch led
# Docking station/port replicator
# Move the airport antenna to the top of the display in the small strip of plastic at the corners
# Magnetic latch
# leds at the superdrive slot (like nintendo wii, but in white)
# leds arround every connector (like the old powerconnector on the ibook for example)
# make the whole thing (like the keys on the keyboard) out of aluminum
# reduce the margin of the screen at the top where the isight is (like the powerbook)

Remote:
# Backlighting the buttons (would require more power/bigger battery)
# A signaling led (when it sends)
# A clickweel to scroll

Power supply:
# Every cable detachable
# Better magsave connector (better grip at disconnecting)
# thicker cable to the notebook computer

Hmm what else :)

Leej

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
Most obvious thing to me: turn the Front Row remote into a USB flash drive with 4 gb of ram and put a dedicated USB port/dock on the MBP that would also act as storage for the remote. This way you would always have your Front Row remote handy and it would act as a flash drive for Robson Caching with Santa Rosa.

chaslam

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2006
HHmm not really thought about it before but:

A full size keyboard (at least on 17" model)
Exposes buttons around the trackpad (maybe 4)

That really all I can think of.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
# Powerswitch led
# Move the airport antenna to the top of the display in the small strip of plastic at the corners
# Magnetic latch
# leds arround every connector (like the old powerconnector on the ibook for example)[
# reduce the margin of the screen at the top where the isight is (like the powerbook)

Wow that's a lot of LEDs/lights. Unless Apple can make them look nice, I would think that much lighting would look too tacky. Plus that would lower the battery life (as you mentioned about the control). :)

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Wow that's a lot of LEDs/lights. Unless Apple can make them look nice, I would think that much lighting would look too tacky. Plus that would lower the battery life (as you mentioned about the control). :)
I am with you on this. Too much LED lighting is like one of those Windows units which decorate their plastic casing with a bunch of X'mas lighting. The current MBP design is just perfect. Looks professional and elegant at the same time. I have not seen other PC makers have pulled that off like that.

chendo

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2006
Majority of the connectors on the left hand side, move superdrive to right hand side (kinda like the MacBook layout). I find it annoying when I wanna plug a USB or Firewire hard disk in and it obstructs the right hand side.

How about complete OLED on both screen and keyboard, allow turning the whole thing into a book-style touchscreen, as well as being able to use it as a keyboard/touchpad. Configurable trackpad size/keyboard layout.

iñaki'sonMac'87

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Barcelona
just one: mag latch:)

I was thincking about somehow protect the i/o ports.... but couldn't think in something that appeals to this perfect piece of notebook.:D

tyroja00

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
just one: mag latch:)

I was thincking about somehow protect the i/o ports.... but couldn't think in something that appeals to this perfect piece of notebook.:D

I've been wondering for awhile what a mag latch is and how it differs from the magnetic mechanism that is on my C2D MBP? I have heard numerous people yearning for this and I am trying to understand the revelation. Thank you for the info.

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
this magnetic latch that everyone speaks of is the latch that is on the macbook... in other words, there aren't any latches that drop down and hook the display to the base, but just magnets. people want a macbook-type latch on the MBP

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA

I think this guy has neon lights under his car too...
Personally, One LED on the whole thing is enough.
I don't understand why Apple even bothered with an LED next to the iSight on the Macbook.

Nightkrawler

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
Vienna, Austria
I think this guy has neon lights under his car too...
I don't even have a car :p

I didn't meant that it glows like a christmas tree, but i often had the problem that i didn't found for example the headphone jack in darkness. a nice soft glow (like the power connector on the old powerbook powerconnector) would be nice, you could exactly see where the plug is.
Even cooler would it be if this would be possible with some sort of magnetic sensor that recognise any metal objects near the connector, so if you want to plug something in it automatically detects it and turns on the connector light until you plug it in. Of course it should be possible to disable it. (-alright- this is flawed: how could it detect it accurate when some things are already plugged in :rolleyes: )

I still think the touchpad light would be nice too. A nice soft light at the corner, thin as the gap that is already there, in white. Maybe you misunderstood me with the mousebutton, i didn't meant the whole mousebutton should glow, just the corners arround it.

It shouldn't "cry for attention", it should make using the computer in darkness even easier.
The lights would only turn on when you need them, I think that would be another nice feature to the already outstanding MacBook Pro.

I don't understand why Apple even bothered with an LED next to the isight on the Macbook.
Paranoia.
I think many user would at least have thoughts that they are being monitored .

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Even cooler would it be if this would be possible with some sort of magnetic sensor that recognise any metal objects near the connector, so if you want to plug something in it automatically detects it and turns on the connector light until you plug it in.

That is actually a pretty cool idea. *heads to patent office*

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
# Powerswitch led
# Magnetic latch
# leds arround every connector (like the old powerconnector on the ibook for example)

Remote:
# Backlighting the buttons (would require more power/bigger battery)
# A signaling led (when it sends)
# A clickweel to scroll

Power supply:
# Every cable detachable
# Better magsave connector (better grip at disconnecting)
# thicker cable to the notebook computer

Hmm what else :)

This is a horrible bunch of suggestions...

Some of which the current MacBook Pro already have and some that it will NEVER get!

Come on, why crap the layout and design up with dedicated media playback buttons on the notebook?

And it already has an invisible right click button ;)

The only changes I can really think of would be a better integrated camera, the magnetic latch, better battery, higher resolution screen with LED back lighting for even illumination (quite possible with resolution independence that Leopard comes with) and thinner form factor.

I may come up with something more later but none of it as tacky as the above...LEDs :p

popelife

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2006
What I'd change...

* MacBook-style "latch" (hesitate to call it a latch, because there is no physical latch bit. It just opens and closes. Sweet - a bit like the original iBook but much better)

* Eliminate the ugly grey plastic strips around the lid and base. I don't think they sit well with the aluminium. I preferred the more seamless look of the old Titanium Powerbook

* Easily upgraded HD

* Screen MUST tilt back further

* Nicer feeling keyboard. I know there are lots of MBP keyboard fans out there, but personally, i find the tactile feedback from the keyboard lacking. Entirely due to the way the tops and bottoms of the keys are rounded off. I think sharper edges give you better feedback as to where your fingers are. Important for touch typists. Also, when keys get really small, eg cursor keys, fn keys, you need as big a flat area for your fingers to land on as possible.

* Sleeker-looking keyboard. I also think the keyboard looks a bit fussy. Again to do with the shapes of the keytops. I think the MacBook keyboard actually looks far more modern and in keeping with the current Apple style. I also type faster on it... which is a surprise. It's nothing like as toytown as people think. To me, even the old iBook keyboard is nicer-looking and better to type on than the MBP (if a little rattly).

* Cheese-grater speaker grilles. A bit uncool. Find another way and put a numeric keypad on the 17, if not the 15 as well (if it'll fit).

* Better screens with less colour shift with viewing angle. Higher res might be nice but not essential.

* A 12" version using low-power C2Ds and low power GPU. Got to have an MBP option with improved portability. The 15 is just too big for a lot of users.

I'm reasonably confident that all of this will happen by the end of 2007.

Other options:

* Flash caching for hard drive. Quick start up, more power savings.
* 800MHz front-side bus
* Reduce power requirements for better battery life and lower weight

I'm almost nitpicking - the current MBP is still a great computer, just a little out of step with the rest of the range.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Mag latch
User replaceable HDD

If we also talk a bit about hardware. PLEASE! 8-BIT SCREENS! 6-BIT SCRRENS ARE FOR DELL!

(To enchance my point, 6-bit is 264.000 colors, while 8-bit is 16.7 million colors, and 10-bit is 3.2 billion colors. 264.000 colors is just (rap for the world's best notebook.

I personally don't want a num-pad. I really love the speakers and the current keyboard. I don't know about the "tilt more" thing, but if they give us a mag-latch and a user upgradeable HDD, it's perfect.

AND 8-BIT SCREENS!:D

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Mag latch
User replaceable HDD

If we also talk a bit about hardware. PLEASE! 8-BIT SCREENS! 6-BIT SCRRENS ARE FOR DELL!

(To enchance my point, 6-bit is 264.000 colors, while 8-bit is 16.7 million colors, and 10-bit is 3.2 billion colors. 264.000 colors is just (rap for the world's best notebook.

I personally don't want a num-pad. I really love the speakers and the current keyboard. I don't know about the "tilt more" thing, but if they give us a mag-latch and a user upgradeable HDD, it's perfect.

AND 8-BIT SCREENS!:D

The way things are going, 8 bit screens are for PeeCees, Apple thinks 6 bits is good enough for anybody.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.