Form Factors: What is the Future for consumer lines?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sjs, Mar 25, 2002.

1. sjs macrumors 6502

Its been a couple of months now since Apple invented a new form factor with the new iMac. What form factor do you think will prevail in the consumer market? Will the iMac concept be adopted by wintels? Will it become commonplace, or is there some reason that it will it remain unique?

1. All-in-one (original iMac)

2. Completely separate (all Wintels)

3. Joined at the hip (new iMac)

Food for thought:
    I love the style and functionality of the new iMac, but I'd like a 17" LCD and I can't have one! Will consumers eventually decide they want a separate computer and monitor so they can mix and match (giving up the adjustability of the new iMac's screen)? Plus, monitors seem to last longer than computers. When I want to upgrade to a new iMac, will I be happy about having to throw away what may be a perfectly good screen? Maybe I'd rather have a $1299 Cube with Superdrive and a $599 15" Studio (= $1899) or any other monitor. They would take up no more space.

2. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Right there is the reason I'm not buying an imac. At least with a PC I can swap out stuff for a few years to keep it sort of up to speed and comparable with newer models/chips. With the new imac, it seems like it is all or nothing.

I wasn't worried about the monitor, but that is a good point too.

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

FYI, just cause I don't want an imac, and said that pc's can have stuff swapped out does not make me a dark warrier of the PC wintel companies. Rather, I'm merely expressing my opinion in regards to the imac. I want a TiBook and then a G4 tower.

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

u should create a poll for this one...

I think the in the future computers are going to become more powerful....and become much smaller...

I think the Cube was one hell of an idea....but it was limited....and way before it's time...

the iMac is.....in my opinion...a glimpse of what we're going to be seeing lots more of...

5. sjs thread starter macrumors 6502

Or maybe: IF the best form factor is the new iMac, should it offer a choice of LCD screens... maybe even detachable using coupling...

6. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

I don't know why everyone is harping on the 15" LCD. I think it's a great call.

Yes, your average home computer has a 17" CRT connected to the tower. But - the 15" feels like 17 because it's an LCD. Need more space on your "desktop?" ...then you must be a Pro-sumer. Get a Cinema Display to go with your tower.

BUT - if you're a home user (the target audience for the new iMac) then I don't see why you need more than 15".