Formac Display to a PC ???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by seba, Jul 18, 2005.

1. seba macrumors newbie

Hi, I've got a question. I a friend of mine bought FORMAC TFT 2010 AU display to his PC, and we dont know how to make it work with my PC. I read something like this on the apple.com:

PC Compatible
    A DVI connection removes the barrier to using an Apple display with your PC. If your graphics card supports DVI with DDC technology for widescreen viewing, you should be able to connect your PC to any Cinema Display.

Could anybody explain if it is possible to connect FORMAC to his PC and how to do it ????
    PC:
    Athlon XP 2500 +
    I dont know the main board because the PC's not mine
    GeForce FX5200 64 MB
    256 MB DDR RAM

2. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

I think that display only has an ADC and DVI connection. Since your PC has a FX5200 GPU, it needs to have a DVI connection to work. If it doesn't, you'll need a DVI-to-VGA adapter.

Or, you could get a new video card that has a DVI connection already. A plus to this option is that you'll get better picture quality since you're not converting the digital signal (DVI) to analog (VGA).

3. seba thread starter macrumors newbie

4. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

5. seba thread starter macrumors newbie

So my FX 5200 has got a DVI, so can it be done ???
    when i connected ale the Formac cables to the pc, FORMAC showed up in my display settings . But its like the formac doesnt get any power a it doesnt work.

6. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Yes.

Odd. Maybe there's something wrong with the display. Bad backlight? Is the display plugged into a power outlet?

7. seba thread starter macrumors newbie

There are 3 cables(the first two i can plug in to my pc):
    1 goes to DVI in the FX5200 (on this one its written "VW-1 80degrees C 30 V")
    2 is USB
    3. it is small and circular :) (and i dont know where to connect it)

8. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Regarding #3, if it's small and circular, that sounds like the FDC hub to which you connect the power cable. You do have the power cable, right?

9. seba thread starter macrumors newbie

Power cable ??? I dont think so. No i havent got anything else then the display and those 3 cables comingo out of it :) So there should be another cable responsible for power???

10. Quark macrumors regular

Connect the power brick

I have the 2010 and have had it for a couple of years. It is connected to my Windows PC.

There is one single cable that comes out of the Formac that has the DVI connector on it. BUT, on the same cable, about 3 inches from the DVI connector is a little white box that has two ports on it.

One port is for the USB hub and the other is for the Power. There should be a power cable that connects to this port and then connects to a power brick that has a cable that plugs into the wall.

If you received this monitor from a friend, and you don't recall receiving a white power brick with it, then your friend must still have it. Otherwise I recommend contacting Formac and they should be able to provide you with a power brick. I don't know how much it will cost.

Good luck and best wishes. The Formac 2010 is an incredibly awesome monitor!

Take care,
    Quark

11. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

It should look like this.

Attached Files: