Formac Gallery 1900 - or not?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by masterQ, Jan 7, 2004.

1. masterQ macrumors newbie

I have a dilema!

I am a Graphic Designer and use Freehand, Fireworks, Quark, Photoshop etc. currently all displayed on a LaCie Electron 19 Blue. This has proved a great monitor but I am short on desk space and am considering upgrading to a Formac Gallery 1900 DVI.

I have an early G4 350MHz AGP but will probably upgrade to a G5 later this year. Will the Formac Gallery 1900 DVI be compatible with these machines? Is changing to the Formac a wise move?

I also have a G3 Powerbook (Lombard) and am impressed with the clarity of the screen but not the colour output colours vary from the top of the screen to the bottom. Will this be a problem for the Formac?

All advice is appreciated, especially from satisfied/disatisfied owners!

Cheers

Q

2. cubist macrumors 68020

It should be more uniform than the PowerBook. You won't get as good color accuracy as the LaCie Blue, that's for sure. Maybe you could set up the CRT on a secondary machine (say, the PowerBook) as a checking mechanism.

My hesitance re Formac, though, has to do with the fact that the company seems in a headlong rush into bankruptcy. I've heard stories of people having monitors fail, then being unable to contact anyone from the company.

3. TheT macrumors 6502

Wasn't that because they were moving and didn't have the offices set up yet? I know that they are now an independant company (before, they belonged to the German "Formac")... I heard that their LCDs are actually really nice...

4. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I have a Formac 1740 ADC, and it's great, nice screen. Like the above poster said, Formac was not respoding a while back because they changed ownership and became their own company.

5. neut macrumors 68000

neut

they're still not responding...my 1740 OX died a few weeks ago...still no response.

nice monitor; though no LCD will give you correct color (like your CRT will) but Formacs' is better than most.

the footprint ins't very deep, but it sure is wide with those round feet!

peace.