Formac or Apple?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Wes, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Should I get the Formac 17.4 inch screen or the Apple 17 inch, they are the same price after the dual offer rebate. The Formac has 5% more space, can react within 20 or ms (I forgot what is it exactly). They are both ADC what do you think? It will be hooking up to a new dual ghz (ddr).

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i don't know a whole lot about monitors... but if they're both the same price, the same basic size, and both adc... go with the apple one

my apple 15" is sweet besides being a bit smallish...

3. BongHits macrumors regular

cnet had an article comparing the formac and apple lcds...i think they basically narrowed it down to apple's due to crispness of the display and brightness of colors. Although I think the formac comes with a digital calibrator for free...so it comes down to preference (I like both their design styles, so...) maybe just get apple to stick with the apple theme???

4. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

The formac is brighter, and has a higher contrast ratio. The only thing that would make the Apple better would be the colour display and/or form factor. The formac doens't look that bad either.

[​IMG]

5. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

One other thing that might tilt the decision is, I might be a pyschological thing, but it would really annoy me if I bought the apple and they released new screens.

6. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

Apple often has inferior screens,and some of them fade in edges.
    Thats like Apple's mouse...it's nice and everything but it sucks :p (not that much but..),it is better to get Formac. And they said so in MW test,so I'd get Formac.

P.S.If I'm wrong,it's not my fault you bought bad LCD :)

7. BongHits macrumors regular

ya that would drive me nuts too...Formac it is :D
    btw I have never seen an apple display that fades around edges...WTF? my lcd is the best one i've ever used (altho im limited to my roomates dell, and lcds that are near 1-2 years old giving them inferior tech) and i love the touch sensistive power button (anyone else notice that touching it with a pen or pencil's flat end doesnt work....only my finger does, wtf?)
    o ya, apple mouse is the biggest POS i've ever used. Maybe the design is nice, but even after adjusting it's scroll rate (software and the dial underneath the mouse) it scrolls like a slug, i literally have to pick my mouse up a few times to cross my screen. my logitech on the other hand takes a flick of the wrist to cover the screen, is wireless, and plain ugly. :eek:

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Not to mention it is expensive as hell.... I enjoy my $25 MS optical mouse, despite it being made by MS.

9. DavidFDM macrumors regular

Vote for Apple

I just replaced my 21" CRT with the 17" LCD. I just love it. I actually have room on my desk again. I used to have dual monitor set-up, the 21" and a 19" CRT. I miss the second monitor but once I sell the two CRTs I am going to buy a second Apple 17". The display is much brighter than the CRT. I got a bit of a headache today. I think it's either my adjusting to it or it is the pain in the ass job I am working on.

10. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

Yes I know that fade edges dont happen all the time,but sometimes if you have really bad luck you get LCD with dead pixels and fade edges..

11. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

The formac's 20ms refresh rate is very good. If you play games or use anything else that changes the screen a lot, you should take the formac. Things will also look better when you scroll (no wierd blurring of the text when you scroll quickly)

12. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

I'm buying the formac tomorrow, but sadly my dual ghz won't be arriving for a few weeks.

13. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Of course it does not work when you touch it with a pen. It is not touch sensitive, it is heat sensitive just like the ones that were a problem on some of the cubes. It is sensitive to the touch of your finger not a pen.

14. BongHits macrumors regular

thank you for clarifying, i had always thought it was touch sensitive. so does this mean i could turn the monitor on with the flame from my lighter? :eek:

15. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

I know I'm being retarded and this wouldn't happen, but how do they stop the screen turning off if the room is hot, it has to be touch sensitive to a certain degree.

16. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I know that the cube had problems because it would get too hot and go to sleep or turn off because of the switches sensitivity. I do not know of any certain temperature but it is probably in the 90's. It wouldnt be over 98º because then it wouldnt work when people touched it, but i dont think it would be in the low 80's because the screen might get that hot. So it is probably 85º-95º. Also it may be a combination of a heat and pressure switch so that high room temperatures and screen temperatures do not accidently cause it to turn off.

17. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I dont know why dont you hold the lighter up there and see.:rolleyes:

I have tried turning the screen off with the end of a pen that was heated in hot water and it worked, so it is a combination of both pressure and heat.

18. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

Just to test the sensitivity, go up really close, do not touch it, just breathe on it and see what happens

19. BongHits macrumors regular

definitely not THAT sensitive...im sure its a combination of heat and pressure.