Formac Oxygen 160gb external HD Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MrPineapples, Jan 4, 2006.

1. MrPineapples macrumors member

MrPineapples

Hi i've recently bought a formac oxygen 160Gb Firewire Hard Drive to help free the full to the brim 60gb drive in my iMac G4 (800mhz/60gb/768Ram) .

I have used the drive to back up documents, photo's, mp3's, and video files.
    The problems i'm having are when I try to put the files back onto my computer they don't all copy across, small files are usually ok but I've found that especially with video it's fails to copy the file, playing the video files from the drive they seem to be very jumpy with audio and video pausing a lot.

I've had this drive a few months now but my internal drive is still full because i'm affraid of losing data I put on the drive, ideally i'd like to copy all my music to the hard drive and play it from there, will this work? will it skip and sound rubbish, I'm reall scared of loosing all my tunes.

Cheers!

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Well, the best way to find out would be to try it, I suppose. Move some audio files over there, and see how they play and how they switch. I have my music folder on an external USB hard drive, and there's always a pause between songs, but with Firewire you may not have that.

I have experienced the jumpy video when playing from it, but I always figured that was 'cause I was running it over a USB 1.1 connection, but now I don't know.

3. MrPineapples thread starter macrumors member

MrPineapples

I have tried this (playing tunes from drive) and it seems to play ok, but skipping from track to track and through tracks brings on that horrid spinning beach ball which seems to last for ever and seems to usually involve me having to force quit iTunes. Which is pretty rubbish.