Formac StudioTVR Help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by sailr, Feb 10, 2007.

1. sailr macrumors newbie

I have a Formac StudioTVR hooked up to my older iMac. When I watch the live TV video stream, the picture is fuzzy. The quality varies by channel, but none are great. I was expecting a sharp picture that is at least as good as the picture on my 10 year old TV. The signal strength from the cable outlet appears to be fine. I have tried adjusting the frequency for individual channels and it doesn't make a difference. Is this a connection issue or are my expectations higher than they should be. Since this is a live feed, I expected the quality would be very good.

My connection works through a good quality splitter, but it is not preceeded by anything other than a surge protector. The TV picture is fine. I also have internet access via cable and VOIP telephone service. I don't think any of that should matter, though.

Any insight or comments as to what my expectations on the picture quality should be would be welcomed.

2. -DH macrumors 65816

When you're watching on your iMac, is it in native resolution (640x480)? Or are you stretching the image by watching it larger (stretched)? If it's being stretched, it WILL look soft/fuzzy.

Same thing happens when you watch SD content on an HDTV in anything other than native resolution.

-DH

3. sailr thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe I was in the proper resolution (I'll doublecheck tonight), but I know it didn't stretch.

I played a DVD through component cables and the picture looked pretty good. Unfortunately, if I leave the component cables plugged into the TVR box it creates interference with some of the TV channels. If I unplug the component cables from the TVR box and leave the TV cable line attached, the cable line creates interference for some TV channels when the box is turned on (may be limited to local broadcast channels, but will have to confirm confirm). The interference goes away when the TVR box is turned off. Kind of defeats the purpose if I can't keep the cables attached and watch TV at the same time.