Format an external?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by adiliegro, Sep 28, 2004.

1. adiliegro macrumors newbie

I have two external hard drives, one of which is NTFS (yeah, i know, but I was running XP then). the other is Fat32. The Fat32 I can read and write TO, but the NTFS, i cant, obviously. What I want to do is take all of the files (wedding imags from my weddings) and move them to the Fat32 drive and reformat the NTFS drive. Two questions come to mind -

1. When i move them to the Fat32 drive, I should be able to read and write those files to that drive, right? It' just like moving them to my hard drive, right?

2. How the heck do I format this other drive? im new to the Mac and have no clue how to format on here.

Any help appreciated!

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You should have no problem moving the files and the being able to R/W with them.

For the formating, under Utilities, there is an app called Disk Utility. I think it is pretty easy to use. If you need more info, just ask.

3. mattthemutt macrumors regular

mattthemutt

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I can confirm that it's easy to format an external drive using the disk utility in the utilities folder. Just launch it and click on the external disk in the left pane, and then use the options in the right pane to do the formatting.