Format and Install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SolidSnake, Dec 20, 2005.

1. SolidSnake macrumors regular

I'm getting a mac pretty soon and i'm gathering all materials to switch from windows and i've searched on google alot and i don't see anything on formating the disk and reinstalling. please post guides and your articles. thanks!

2. Sic macrumors 6502

make sure install dvd is in the drive

switch computer on, holding "c"

follow install instructions.

enjoy

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You won't find much on reformatting and reinstalling OSX because it's rarely necessary or even advisable.

That's why you're buying a Mac, remember? ;)

4. SolidSnake thread starter macrumors regular

guess i never thought about it like that, well thanks! install sounds simple enough

5. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

it couldn't be simpler. Forget XP, welcome in the Mac world... :D ;)

6. SolidSnake thread starter macrumors regular

yea. i was just trying to make sure because on xp you have to boot on the cd and format for a clean install and then restart and then install.. i can't wait to switch... just a couple of days.

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I've said it once and I'll say it again.
    I love the enthusiasm from hearing someone switch. Never get tired of it.

90% of the install is putting the DVD in the slot.

8. SolidSnake thread starter macrumors regular

so i don't make another thread, does mac come pre cleartype, in other words is the fonts automaticly cleartype when you first start os x tiger?
    ps: trust me i love the enthusiasm too! i thank you all.

9. SolidSnake thread starter macrumors regular

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Cleartype is MS' term for anti-aliasing, correct? Yes, MacOS X does anti-aliasing / smoothing of fonts automatically. You can adjust it to your liking, somewhat, in System Preferences -> Appearance. It sounds like you like it, so you're in good stead. If you *don't* want smoothing at all, that's a little trickier, because OS X doesn't offer the option to turn it off completely, out of the box.

11. SolidSnake thread starter macrumors regular

no i do want it this is why i urged its importance. thanks for the information!

12. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

Any reason you don't want this?:confused:

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, no, sorry, that's my mistake. I wasn't clear. Some people don't like font smoothing. I think because they aren't used to it, and it looks strange coming from a version of Windows that doesn't use it. It seemed strange to me when I first saw it on Linux too. And also when I first got my iBook. But you get used to it, and after a while, it begins to seem nice, and fancy, and not having it seems to be a drag. There was a post recently complaining about it, and there are ways to get rid of it, but I think it's not worth it to do so.

The original poster, though, was asking to make sure that he/she didn't have to do anything extra to get font smoothing. You don't. It's there built in. :)

14. SolidSnake thread starter macrumors regular

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hehe, any time. And nice screen name, btw. I love the fact that Solid Snake is back, baby. :) It's so Solid. :D

16. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Antialiasing pixels to increase the perceived resolution of your monitor was invented, patented, and used by Apple for the Apple ][ computer. There are some Microsoft fanboys who argue until they are blue in the face that ClearType is a Microsoft invention because it is a color technology whereas Apple's patented antialiasing technique was monochrome. The bottomline is that MacOS X provides antialiasing of fonts in the Appearance preference pane. Apple calls it font smoothing.

17. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

Thanks for clearing that up. :)