Format and ReInstall Panther...HELP

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Pilgrims Pro, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Pilgrims Pro macrumors regular

I sold my iBook so I can purchase a new G5, but I need to format and reinstall Panther before I send the laptop away. Could someone give me some detailed instructions on this procedure. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!!!!

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Pop in the panther CD, restart the machine and hold down the "c" key while it's booting... that'll boot from the CD and let you do the format and install.

I suppose some people will warn you to wipe the CD with 1's and 0's and then do it 40 times over to make sure nobody can get your old data... but I don't know how to do that and I usually don't worry about it.

3. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

You can wipe the drive using Disk Utility, write over the contents with 1s and 0s, this will ensure that the person you sell it to can't recover the drive and all of your files. Just formatting does not clean up the drive too well, the info is still there. My boss formatted his hard drive twice and reinstalled XP twice, and I was still able to recover info from his Win 98 installation, which was good for him, but probably not something that you'd want to send out to someone on eBay!

4. Pilgrims Pro thread starter macrumors regular

Should I remove the airport card and the Crucial memory that I have installed, before formatting and reloading the OS?

5. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Only remove it..

If it causes a problem. If they are going with the system, the just leave them in there and hopefully everything goes fine. Airport card shouldn't cause any problems, just the the installer is picky about memory sometimes. So you might have to take it out, cross your fingers and hope you don't have to do that.

6. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

One other thing to remember, if you have an external firewire HD make sure to unplug it before reinstalling panther!