Format and restore with TM

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.7 Lion' started by itboom, May 22, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, i have a mac mini (2010), and sadly, i need to downgrade back to OS X 10.6 (need to use PPC apps),
    i have a time machine with this computer that includes all my apps.

because i am downgrading, i am wondering if there is a possibility to downgrade using the installing DVD that came with the computer, and restore the apps that i currently have using my TimeMachine.

thank you for your help.

2. Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Hi,

You can format and install with the DVD that came with your Mac. I would probably not restore the apps as you may run into some problems, some may only be compatible with newer versions of OS X. Best bet is to re-download them.

It would be fine to restore your personal files though.

3. macrumors newbie

ah, the apps is what i am worried about, i have very slow internet (200KBPS max download) and to redownload everything from the app store would take me a few WEEKS... any tips?

4. Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Well if that's the case then try a full restore (apps and all) worst case is that some of your apps may not work and you will have to uninstall them.

5. macrumors newbie

in that case, wont it put OS X LION back?
    [​IMG]
    and here is just the games i got from the app store- (each is 6-9Gbit, and ill download at 200...)

6. Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

That's why you need to format the hard drive first, install the version of OS X you want, connect your back up and restore your apps and files.

7. macrumors newbie

didn't you say that APPS won't work?

8. Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Some apps might not work, but some might be ok. It's a case of trial and error.