Format external HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dextertangocci, Nov 19, 2006.

1. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Hi everyone,

I've had a 250GB lacie external HD for a while now, and I've used it just for my iTunes folder. It's formatted in FAT32, but I want to reformat it to a format that is more compatable with OSX, because FAT32 is apparently not a good format, and doesn't allow a file size above 4GB's (even though my iTunes library is 100GB:confused: ) and is slower with OSX.

I went into disk utility, but I don't see an option to format it, only to partition it, which I don't want to do:confused: Why is disk utility so confusing????

Thanks,

-dextertangocci

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

If you click on the disk on the left, there should be the option to "Erase" right next to "Partition" on the right there.

3. dextertangocci thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok, so that's how you must do it. Thanks:)

Which format should I put it in?

BTW, why does everyone say that ther file size in a FAT32 drive can't be bigger than 4GB, when my iTunes library is about 100GB?

4. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

No, it means individual files can't be more than 4GB. The drive or partition itself may be considerably larger.

5. dextertangocci thread starter macrumors 68000

I know, but my iTunes folder (which is a SINGLE folder) is 100GB;)

6. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Your folder can be 100 gigs, the limit is the file size. You can't have a single file that is bigger than 4 gigs on a FAT32 formatted drive. Not many music files would be that large!

7. dextertangocci thread starter macrumors 68000

Oh, ok, thanks!

But I still remember putting an iMovie project onto it that was 7GB (or is that not a single file?)

8. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

I am curious, if you are using a Mac why was the drive formatted in FAT32? That is a format that even Windoze doesn't use as much in these days of modern times. And now that I think about it, didn't FAT32 had a volume limit of 32 gigs? Is your drive really formatted in FAT32? or is it NTFS? Or is the Mac not bothered by such silliness? Report back!

If you reformat, choose Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) as the default, that is the way it should be.

9. dextertangocci thread starter macrumors 68000

It is definitely FAT32. But it is reformating now. Thanks for the advice:)