formating a brand new hard drive...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by proverbs, Sep 28, 2005.

1. proverbs macrumors 6502

i'm trying to format my brand new hd so i loaded up from the Tiger DVD and went to Disk Utility and clicked on my hd. is there a sepereate thing for formating, or do i just click the 'erase' button? thanks.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Erase will do it for you.

3. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Unless you want to specify different partitions then you can just erase it and enjoy.

4. proverbs thread starter macrumors 6502

SWEET! thanks. :D

i was also wondering - if i have a cube and it can only detect 128GB when i have a 160GB, is there a way i can erase and partition the other 32GB? thanks.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No. It's a limitation of the IDE controller chip.

You can buy some third party software that gives you the ability to see and format the whole 160. Or use a 120 Gb drive instead. Or use a Firewire case, modern FW cases don't have the limitation.

6. proverbs thread starter macrumors 6502

i see. cool, thank you.

7. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

OWC (http://www.macsales.com/) will sell you the software you need to let your Cube see larger drives. They bundle it cheap with a new drive if you buy the drive from them, too. I'd recommend going to cubeowner.com and looking at their OWC specials page, 'cause it'll a) be a bit cheaper and b) have exactly what you need.

8. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

OWC is a nice option.

I bought a 250 GB hard disk from OWC and their software for my Sawtooth PowerMac G4. Works like a charm! I now have a 127.87 GB partition and a 104.77 GB partition after formatting with Disk Utility.

If you go external with a hard disk enclosure and firewire, I don't think you need the extra software. External drives >128 GB will be recongnized at their full capacity. I believe that only internal drives have the 128 GB limit on the older machines.