Formating HFS+ on Lacie 40Gb - help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Yaja123, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Yaja123 macrumors regular

I have a Lacie 40Gb usb external drive. Its been formatted to Fat 32 as i was using it to transfer files with a windows machine. I now want to use it exclusively with mac but i cant seem to format it to HFS+. Whenever i mount it to my Powerbook G4 and try to format it it only ever offers the MS-DOS File System.

Can anyone tell me why it is not offering my mac format options?

Thanks.

2. belvdr macrumors 601

I would repartition the drive, then format. Must be some nutty FAT32 issue causing this. I've never seen it before.

Also, are you highlighting the drive or the partition when you click Erase?

3. Yaja123 thread starter macrumors regular

ok. there isnt a partition so what do u mean repartition it? Its just a 4ogb lacie drive. sorry if im being stupid. give me quick step by step help?

another question. i also have a lacie 250gb firewire drive with two firewire ports on the back. i assumed you could access it simultaneously via two diff mac's..... but when i tried this it only mounted on one computer - is this correct? i was hoping to use it a server as wireless file transferring between two computer is unbelievably slowly.

thanks.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can't do that. I would not ever recomend trying it. The second port is to allow you to daisy chain another device off the drive.

5. Yaja123 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks. yes, u can NOT do simul use but the ports both work individually... shame, means i have to remove a wire when depending on which computer i want to use it on.. oh well, small convenience.

when u daisy chain 2 drives does the second drive use the power from the first drive?

if so, could u then link a computer to each drive and daisy the drives, what would happen? some kind of ghost busters cross beam galaxy meltdown? :D

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Try this:

Disk Utility > Select the disk (not the volume) on the left > Partition > Choose 1 Partition from the Volume Scheme dropdown > Choose Extended Journalised from the Format dropdown > Partition.

7. Yaja123 thread starter macrumors regular

and the winner is ... NERMAL! thanks.

I chsoe partition 1 but i had to go to option at the bottom and select apple partition scheme to allow the mac formating options to become available.

So all solved - i have mac journal format. thanks to all.

i dont have a second firewire drive to try my daisy chain question... can anyone answer me? does a daisy chained 2nd drive draw power from first?

thanks again.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Potentially this might work, but it's very unlikely that there is enough power on the bus for 2 drives without external power.

Each drive would be mounted on one or other machine. But don't do it!

9. Yaja123 thread starter macrumors regular

i asked because i have a bedroom 10' x 6' (very modern and light! ;) ) and i have approx 19 devices/plugs in my room :eek: atleast 15 drawing power all the time 2 x :eek: i need to review this yikes!

maybe this would be a good 'fun' question in a diff forum.

"Floor Space to Plug Ratio".....

anyone give me a definate answer on daisy q as i might get second firewire?

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The power question depends entierly on the devices in question. It cannot be answered in general terms. If you have 2 unpowered devices and one takes all the power on the bus the daisy chained device will not get enough power to work.

The only way to find out is to try it.

11. Yaja123 thread starter macrumors regular

the lacie firewire drive i have does have it own power supply, it doesnt get powered from the bus.....

12. belvdr macrumors 601

Then it depends on the second device. If the second device were a hard drive, you'll use an outlet to power that. If it were an iPod, then it might work. I've never tested the daisy chain theory.

13. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Simple answer? Yes. OS X will warn you if there is not enough power on the bus for both devices.

And if the Lacie drive is plugged in, the second device should be fine. (Assuming it is designed to draw power, most camcorders aren't)