Formating PC iPod - Help!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by combatcolin, Jan 1, 2005.

1. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Oh well, its was working fine!

Anyway, formatted my 3G 40G iPod from FAT32 to NTFS and now it won't switch off or register with my PC.

Hard Drive is spining, and the Apple logo is displayed but nothing else.

iTunes dosn't identify iPod.

Reset works but Apple logo comes straight back and HD keeps spinning.

Help!

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Why the hell did you format it NTFS??

You will probably need to reformat it FAT32, and then run what ever the most current firmware updater is on it.

3. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

I use it for a lot of PC files and bits and bobs.

Tried the iPod updaters but they (and windows) can't detect it.

The format did work as Windows did detect it but i took it out of the cradle as it was getting a bit warm so to let it cool down a bit.

Its still in warranty but i really don't want to travel up to John Lewis at Peterborough to get it sorted.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That still doesn't explain why you thought it'd be a good idea to format it with a secure file system :rolleyes:

I'm not even so sure you'd be covered under warranty, you'd have to check that out.

5. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

6. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I can understand why iTunes wouldn't work, but I'm surprised Windows doesn't see it at all - I guess it's because the on-board controller doesn't understand NTFS (although in that case I don't know how Windows managed to format it to NTFS!). I assume you used Windows' built-in disk utility to reformat it? Also, I assume you reformatted it on the same computer that's now having trouble seeing it?

- Did you try using the iPod update utility (worth a shot even if Windows doesn't see it)? That's what Apple appears to recommmend in this case.
    - Did you try a hard reset?
    - Did you try removing the hardware from the device manager (assuming it shows up there)?

Assuming it shows up in device manager, and you were able to remove it, you might also find it helpful to go into /Windows/inf and hunt around for the iPod-related files - and delete them. I've found that when Windows installs hardware incorrectly, on uninstall/reinstall it will often repeat the same mistakes if the previous info is cached in that directory.

If it's not resolveable from Windows, the easiest thing I can think of is to find someone who has a Mac - I'm sure a Mac would see it (and want to reformat it).

P.S. I can understand why you'd have been tempted to format it as NTFS. :D

P.P.S. I can't see how this could possibly affect your warranty, but IANAL (as they like to say on Slashdot).

7. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Tried the reset, the screen blinks off and the HD poweres down but then spins back up again and the Apple logo is displayed again.

The battery conked out (surprise surprise!!) so charged again and the same thing happens.

Able to charge via FW.

Oh well, Peterborough here we come Tuesday.

8. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Managed to get everything sorted a few days ago, easy when you find theres a button combo to force it into Disk Mode and you can re-format from there.

Oh well, you learn more from fiddling than following the instructions!!

9. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    what was the button combo?

10. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Similar to the reset.

Hold on, hold off and then press forward and back for a few seconds and it will force the iPod into Disk Mode.

Pain to format though, Quick Format didn't work and had to do a normal format which on a 40GB drive takes a while..... :)