Formatted HD, Have backups, very lost ..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rympy, Jan 5, 2006.

1. rympy macrumors member

I think this case is slightly different than what I've seen posted about Formatting and Backing Up..(sigh)

I took my Powerbook to an Apple Centre in Seoul, Korea (where I am living now) after Disk Utility told me I need to make repairs.

The service people managed to save all my data from the powerbook(preferences, user data, apps, keychains etc.) to my external hard drive, and then they formatted the computer and installed tiger.

I now have my computer with all my previous data safely in my external..how do I get all my preferences, user data, apps, keychains etc. back to they way it was?

I don't think they did an archive install or anything like that. It looks like they just formatted everything and made up some user name and gave me back my computer.

Should I take it back to the Apple Centre?
    Help please, and thanks for your patience!

:confused:

2. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

Don't quote me on this but I believe you can use the migration assistant which is located under applications/utilities.

hope that does the trick.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I just dragged my Library back into my home folder. We do that for some of out users to keep their preferences on their G3's migrating to new Mac Mini's.

4. rympy thread starter macrumors member

Migration assistant only seems to work from Mac to Mac. There is an option to migrate from 'another volume on this mac' but it does not allow me to select my firewire exernal HD.

As far as dragging my library into the home folder.. Im not sure I get it. I have:
    'Applications' Folder
    'Library' Folder
    'System' Folder
    'System Folder' Folder
    'Users' Folder
    and some alias files/folders from before the format on my external.
    I want to basically put everything back the way it was if it's possible.

Thanks

5. wattage macrumors 6502

wattage

Do you own a Tiger DVD? If so, couldn't you:
    >perform clean install>create identical admin user name and home folder>then drag and drop??

I know this sounds like a complicated workaround but it should work.

The name of the home user is very important, it must match identically I have found.

OR: couldn't you create a new user on the 'puter named after your original and drag and drop your home folder to it; Then make the new user (with your previous data in it) the admin user and delete the one they created??

My guesses.

6. wattage macrumors 6502

wattage

In the finder window, one of the icons is a House (this is the home folder/user), use that exact name if you take my options.