Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iClown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
Alright, here's the deal. Today I received my first iPod, and of course I was extremely happy. I followed the instructions in the box, completed step 1 which was to charge the iPod and then I came to step 2 which was to install the things on the cd that came with the iPod. It went fine until I got to the part where it said that I should connect the iPod to see if it needed formatting. I was pretty sure it didn't since it's new and all of that, but I did what the program asked me and connected the iPod. The program figured that I should format the iPod so I pressed the "format" button and waited. The thing is, how long does it take to format?? It's been an hour now and nothing has happened:( Does it usually take this long or do I have good reason to be concerned? I asked some of my other friends with iPod's and their didn't take this long time. The computer which is connected to the iPod is a hp pavillion zt3000 running windows XP and I am connecting the iPod through firewire 2.0.

Edit: First of all, thanks for your respond, varmit. I think i figured it out, because I cancelled the first format (I doubt it was smart, but I did it) and restarted the cd. Then everything went fine:)

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
iClown said:
I am connecting the iPod through firewire 2.0.

There isn't a "Firewire 2.0" unless you count FireWire 800 as a 2.0 of sorts.

USB 2.0, well, that's different than 1.1 and 1.0. (1.0 was ~5Mbps, 1.1 was ~11Mbps, and 2.0 is ~480 Mbps)

FireWire is either in 400 or 800, and they aren't compatible with each other. 400 is what is commonly found, 800 is only on a scant few PowerMac G4s and the G5 PowerMacs. Also, 15" and 17" PowerBooks have those ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.