Formatting and Updating to Tiger

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Fourbin, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Fourbin macrumors regular

I've been dyyying to get Tiger to give me a reason to format my Powerbook hard drive. However as I know with previously being a Windows user that with updates you would have to have the original OS installed. Must I have Panther installed to install Tiger once I receive it?

After answering that can someone give me a step-by-step on how to format this beast without having any issues? Thanks much..

2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

No.
    In fact when you boot from the Tiger CD's (put it in, restart and hold the c key), you will be given the option to format and/or partition the drive. And then Tiger will simply install.
    Welcome to the sensible, well-built world of Apple! :)

3. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Remember that writing random 0's and 1's after formating takes AGES... I learnt that the hard way.

4. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Imagine if you could do dual pass 64-way overwrite. How long would that take?

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

We're having the reformat/clean install debate in at least two other threads. Why are you "dying" to reformat your hard drive?

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

TWO?

I think the number is much higher than that by now!

Why is this such a sought after topic? It really is not THAT big of a deal.

8. Fourbin thread starter macrumors regular

Does it really bother you that much? To tell you the truth I would not only like a clean install of Tiger but I run a slew of music production programs and I am having problems with older VSTs and plugins that I installed and trashed in the past. Is that good enough reason?

9. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

For me it's archive and install. My mac runs great; no need to reformat. This isn't windows, you know.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm going to format too. I have so much rubbish that's collected on here since 2003 and it'll be great to clean it all out. Most of my 'actual' stuff is backed up, so it won't be a lengthy procedure.

In other news, the place I'm getting Tiger from claims it'll arrive in 2 days :eek:
    They probably mean that they'll get it in stock then, rather than actually getting it to me by then :rolleyes: