Formatting External Hardrive Mac OS Journled & Fat32

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ryvius, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Ryvius macrumors member

I've tried searching, Google and I just gotta know: is it possible to use a free program or Disk Utility to format an external hardrive with a Fat32 partition and a Mac OS Journled partition? I can do one or the other in Disk Utility, but not both.

I need a Fat32 for getting small files off my XP machine and the bulk for a system backup of my PB.

Is there something really painfully obvious I'm missing here? Or do I need to spend 50 dollars on iPartition or Disk Studio?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Open Disk Utility. Select the hard drive (not the single partition). To the the partition tab. You should be able to figure it out from there.

3. Ryvius thread starter macrumors member

That's the thing, I know that. I go to the partion tab, create two partitions. But everytime I create multiple partitions using two different file types, either PC or OSX overrides the previous selection.

Ie, I select "Fat32" for one, the other is changed to Fat32 automaticaly even if I had previously selected a Mac file system.

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....try using Disk Utility as described but letting it format both partitions in the same format, than after that is done reformat one of them....oh yeah!

5. Ryvius thread starter macrumors member

Still not working, it just won't let me have the option of two different file formats.

Steps I'm taking:

Disk Utility
    Select External HD on left hand menu
    Select Partition Tab
    Create Two partitions with Fat32
    Specify size
    Hit Partition
    Let Disk Utility do its thing

When I delete a partition it becomes Freespace. I can't gain do anything else with the file system format that doesn't affect the already existing partition.

Arg!

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I couldn't understand why you couldn't figure it out--then I tried it. I can't seem to do it either. Now that I see all the options, I don't think Disk Utility allows for this. Sorry for the bad info.

EDIT: I haven't tried it, but here seems to be a solution:
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030613121738812

7. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

When I did this with Panther, you had to take the drive to a PC in order to format the 2nd partition in FAT32.