Formatting External HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Moog101, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Moog101 macrumors member

I've just bought a Lacie Ethernet HD and it suggests formatting it to ext3 filesystem to enable it to handle files greater than 4 gig (which I need).

Is there any way from OSX to format an external HD to ext3 (or any apps which can do this)?

Thanks...

Edit : It's OK, i've just figured it out.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

In case anyone else asks or looks at this thread in the future, the answer is no. The default GUIFied Disk Utility cannot format ext3. It formats HFS+, FAT32, and/or UFS.

I'm curious what utility/driver you found to do this for you. Can you please post it so others with the question can benefit from the answer?

3. nargot macrumors regular

the lacie ethernet drive has a serverside utility to format the drive as ext3 i dont know to easily do it on another drive

4. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

How did you do it?

BB99

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

6. nargot macrumors regular

repeat of the quote for bigboy:

if you have the lacie minidisk it has a server side disk formatting utility (as it is a linux box running the hard drive) you access it by http://ipaddress/ in your wweb browser, click on the disk tab and choose a file format either fat32 or ext3 and format it the drive in this fassion.

The reason you wouldn't format it as HFS+ is if you want other OS's to connect because it will only work on mac OS's not windows or linux. I don't know yet because mine is busted but i think the FTP server will only work read only on HSF+ also which would be a pain if you require FTP to transfer files from a work which is heavily firewalled and has 99% of ports blocked to the hard drive at home.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The OP never mentioned anything about Windows or linux. Anyway, Windows support for HFS+ and ext3 are about the same, so no gain there. And the linux support for HFS+ is pretty good.

I don't think the drive formating has anything to do with FTP.

8. nargot macrumors regular

my brain fell out about the ftp thing, don't know why i thought that.

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Then put it back in :p

[​IMG]