Formatting SD card for Mac & PC?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by kirkbross, Oct 19, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Is there a way to format the 16GB SD card in my Tascam DR-1 digital recorder so it will mount on both my Mac (Lion) and PC (Windows 7) and -- and here's the key -- still be recognized by the DR-1 as a valid card?

When I format it FAT32 using my PC the DR-1 forces a format on boot.

2. macrumors 6502

Madd the Sane

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

What does it format it to? exFAT or NTFS? Mac OS X can read and write exFAT, but only read NTFS.

3. macrumors G4

What makes you believe that you can get away with reformatting the card in a file system other than the one used by Tascam?

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Ha. Good point. I guess my concern is more that it USED to mount on my Mac and it no longer does (in Lion). I plug it in and see it mount on the desktop for a second and then it disappears. Then I get a fleeting 'this disc was ejected improperly' error message, which also quickly disappears before I can read it. In Disk Utility, the drive does not show up. It mounts fine on my PC.