Former Apple Employee Rediscovers Photos from Steve Jobs' First Day Back at Apple

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 27, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Former Apple employee Tim Holmes recently discovered a set of photographs taken on an Apple QuickTake camera -- one of the first digital cameras made -- from the night Steve Jobs returned to Apple after it purchased NeXT.

Holmes notes in the description that the colors are incorrect in the photos because of the poor quality of digital cameras in 1996, and that Jobs' jacket was actually black, not purple.

[​IMG]
    Joining Jobs' in the image above was Satjiv Chahil, Apple's senior vice president of worldwide marketing at the time.

Article Link: Former Apple Employee Rediscovers Photos from Steve Jobs' First Day Back at Apple

2. macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

Might as well be black & white....

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. macrumors regular

It was taken with an iPhone which gave it the infamous "purple hue"!!

4. macrumors 68040

From Tim Holmes' Flickr page:

Makes you wonder why Steve Jobs would kill off a digital camera that rendered black as a vivid shade of purple. ;)

5. macrumors 65816

tevion5

...why?

6. macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

A the QuickTake... I admire him going through the trouble to download the photos off of the camera itself! :D

7. macrumors 6502

Because the colour is all wrong in the original. The B&W is far less garish and your head can fill in the right colours.

8. macrumors regular

Macrolido

9. macrumors 6502

I have a QuickTake camera, new in the box. I have no way to use it. Now I don't care if I can.

10. macrumors 6502a

turtlez

iPhone didn't exist back then. Screw Samsung.

11. macrumors 6502

Sell it on ebay or something... some fanboy collector (I don't mean that in a bad way) would buy it I'm sure.

12. macrumors 6502

chumawumba

13. macrumors 68040

For anyone else old enough to remember, the purple lends kind of a Bagwan Rajneesh flavor to these pictures.

14. caliguy, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013

macrumors regular

caliguy

Or make the jackets black.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. macrumors 68030

macs4nw

Steve looks like a happy camper.....ready to clean house.....

16. macrumors 601

jaw04005

17. macrumors regular

I dont believe for one second that Apple sold a camera that made purple into black. And thats from a photographers point of view.

18. macrumors regular

medazinol

I met Gil Amelio in Toronto when he was doing a tour for Apple dealers shortly before they bought NeXT. He was a bit of a bozo, he didn't know what he was really doing.
    The good thing that came out of the luncheon though was his quote that I still use today: "Software is not like wine. It doesn't get better sitting on a shelf".

19. macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

The wall in the background looks like a fairly dark color, but we know it couldn't have actually been black because then it would look bright purple. What color should that wall be?

Edit: What color is Gil wearing on the right? His jacket came out black...

20. macrumors 6502

How exactly did you get the "Screw Samsung" from the article?

They never had the Purple Haze syndrome...

He must have taken the picture wrong.

21. macrumors 6502a

turtlez

Sorry, I thought both things I stated would be obviously humorous ;)

----------

I personally like the purple version more :D

22. macrumors 6502

"..From September 1988 to February 1997, Mr. Chahil served in various capacities, including Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing and the Founding General Manager of the New Media, Internet and Entertainment division.."

Interesting Mr. Chahil who is seen with Jobs in that picture left Apple at the low point and missed out on all the upside and all the fun. Just an observation!!

23. macrumors 68040

Bubba Satori

It's not an act, is it?

24. macrumors 6502

I went through the set and seen what appears to be other [former] employees posting comments. I'm wondering if these were meant for the public as a whole or for those in the Apple inner circle. Either way, good to have seen these before they're private.

25. macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Wow, yeah.

Although mine still works, and it has never done that. Maybe an early firmware version?

----------

If you look at "black" clothing under *VERY* bright light, it will often have a tint to it - blue and brown are the most common.

Likewise, they have tint in infrared. That tint is generally much greater than the visible-spectrum tint.

Early digital cameras generally did not have good IR filters. With no IR filter, you see into the infrared, so the IR tint shows up *WAY* more prominently than you would possibly see in real life. In real life, these probably had a very slight brown tint. The sensor doesn't quite know what to make of the extra (infrared) light coming in, so it overloads one or more of the subpixels. In this case, the blue and red ones - causing a purple tint.

Amateur astrophotographers (people who take pictures of stars,) sometimes remove the iR filter from their new/fancy digital camera because it increases the sensitivity - and stars emit IR quite well, too. I've never tried it (my IR-filter-removed camera died last year,) but I would wager that a camera so-modified would take similar pictures.