Former Blizzard Employees Land $4.5 Million iFund Investment

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 1, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Macworld reports that Booyah, an iPhone-focused startup founded by three former employees of game publisher Blizzard Entertainment, has landed a $4.5 million investment from the iFund program offered by venture capital firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers (KPCB). While details of the new venture are scarce, Booyah's three founders carry impressive credentials from their time at Blizzard.
    A press release on Booyah's site offers a vague description of the goals for the company:
    The iFund was announced in March 2008 by KPCB as a $100 million fund to support companies developing applications and services for the iPhone and iPod touch. KPCB announced its first group of iFund investment recipients in September 2008.

Article Link: Former Blizzard Employees Land $4.5 Million iFund Investment
  2. macrumors 6502

Oct 12, 2006
    I have seen demo of WoW already on iphone but I am interested what those guys can do more in similar direction. Now I see iphone/ipod becoming soon major gaming platform.:D
  3. macrumors regular

May 31, 2008
    Cali baby!
    wow those are impressive credentials...

i wonder why they left blizzard??

that company would be a DREAM come true for anyone interested in game development.

<3 blizz
  4. macrumors 65816

Jan 12, 2006
    Leeds, UK
    Not really if they wanted to try something new.. When was the last time Blizz did anything that wasn't just another entry in an already established franchise?
  5. macrumors 65816

Jun 4, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    When was the last time Blizzard made a mediocre game?
  6. macrumors member

Sep 15, 2008
    That would really depend on the role they have. For the most part I'm sure there are a ton a people at blizz with really "diluted" roles. Those people will get very little say in the actual game design and will just be coding small slices of what represents the entire game.

In their new company they get to build something from scratch, they get a lot of responsibility and if it works out they'll make a ton of money. I suspect blizz's salaries for coders are pretty average because they must get applications up the ying yang.
  7. macrumors P6

Feb 3, 2005
    Right side of wrong
    wow. this sounds great! looking forward to what they come up with
  8. macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    Wow, these are some serious developers... If there's ever a really special game for the iPhone, there's a good chance it could be coming from this company.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2007

...They're not making a game...

They are making a life companion.

Still, it is interesting to see what they come up with. I would imagine the resulting app is going to be a cross between:

-the connectivity of myspace/facebook
    -with the avatar/fantasy/objective orientation of an mmorpg,
    -with a touch of the iPhone's gps location services
    -and a twist of addictive time consumption based goals to keep you hooked
    -and an after taste of pay a monthly fee (let's not forget they came from blizz)