Former iAd Chief Andy Miller Joins 3D Motion Control Company Leap Motion

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 17, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leap Motion today announced (via The Next Web) that Apple's former iAd chief Andy Miller is joining the company as President and Chief Operating Officer. Miller was the founder of mobile advertising firm Quattro Wireless, which Apple acquired in January 2010 to form the basis of its iAd platform. Miller left Apple last August to take a position in venture capital.

Leap Motion has introduced innovative new touch-free technology that will allow users to control their computers by gesturing in space above an iPod-sized USB peripheral sensing device. Leap Motion is currently taking pre-orders for the $70 device, which is compatible with OS X and Windows and is expected to begin shipping late this year or early next year

Article Link: Former iAd Chief Andy Miller Joins 3D Motion Control Company Leap Motion

2. macrumors 6502a

3. macrumors regular

Amazing

This technology is remarkable. It will go great with my Thunderbolt Display. Controlling such a big screen with gestures like that is awesome. I'm definitely getting it. At that price it is definitely a good value.

4. macrumors regular

pwhitehead

This is something id like my college to get for presentations; amazing product!

5. macrumors 68020

That's so cool. Maybe Apple should buy the company and incorporate the technology into the iMac and Apple TV.

6. macrumors 68000

7. macrumors regular

Awesome! best of luck to him and this technology! I'd love to see more of this.

8. macrumors newbie

9. macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Meanwhile Betrand becoming a board member of Parallels is a Mac Blog article...

10. macrumors G4

daneoni

11. macrumors regular

12. macrumors demi-god

Spanky Deluxe

Leap looks incredible. I'd place a pre-order now but I'm not quite sure how well it'll do in terms of discerning the difference between my hands and my cat.

13. macrumors 6502a

Microsoft's Kinect is already doing this, albeit less elegantly. It's really a bit of an afterthought, to be honest. I'd rather pick up my remote and scroll over than use my hand to swipe left and right.

14. macrumors member

ciociosan

I'm a fairly fit bloke, but dear Lord, my arms got tired just looking at this.

Also, this makes the danger of having a cup of coffee on your desk increase at least tenfold.

15. macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

I feel like my arm(s) would get tired after a while of constantly holding them up in the air.

16. macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

Has potential to be something people will use.

17. macrumors 6502a

Hell no I wouldn't want this incorporate into the iMac. Yeah it looks cool but do you understand how tired your arms would get from holding them up all the time. Magic trackpad > leap Mothion.

18. macrumors 604

Piggie

Yay, aching arms as you sit at your desktop.

It's a cool product, very clever and looks great for "SOME" uses, but again impractical for normal computer use.

Games, presentations etc etc.

Sadly it will mean yet another VERY inaccurate way to control something on screen.

Still impressive from a technical point of view. Perhaps another one of those great ideas, now let's find a real use for it type of products.

Again, it's fun, and clever, but you are not going to want to sit at your desk and hold you arms/hands up controlling anything for any length of time.

Unless you are conducting man orchestra for example ;)

19. macrumors 68020

20. macrumors 68000

BC2009

This input device + a Mac Mini media center and I am in.

21. macrumors 68030

Amazing Iceman

Sarcastic Correction:

iAd - the most innovative/annoying product ever. :D

22. macrumors regular

You can't wait for advertisements? Well, I haven't heard that before...

23. macrumors 68020

aricher

Post "Minority Report" era Jobsian sentiment - "If you see a glove, they blew it."

24. macrumors 68020

You've obviously never used Kinect for Xbox. It's great for games. No more controllers but you're right your arms do get tired after a while.

25. macrumors 68030

Amazing Iceman

The fact that Andy Miller decided to leave Apple and join this company shows the level of confidence he has in it.
    I had my doubts about Leap Motion when it first came out, thinking it may be a drive by product; now I believe it may actually get somewhere. And maybe it's time to order it.