Former Powell aide links Cheney's office to abuse directives

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Nov 4, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

So, basically, George W is just a good ol' boy being outmanoeuvred by Cheney and Rumsfeld? Where does Condi stand in this scenario? Who is in charge?

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

She's buying shoes and playing tennis.

I think I have a pretty good idea.

[​IMG].

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Is it any wonder Powell quit after W's first term? I have often wondered what they threatened Powell with to get him to bang the war drums. Paybacks are a b****.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I liked Powell, Sounds like more and more this war was pushed through by Cheney and Bush was his yes man? Libby took the fall for Cheney i think its very clear but can anyone prove it?

6. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    I believe that Wilkerson previously said that Powell was just too much of a good soldier to disagree with the administration's stance.

Powell's main fault is he's confused serving his country with serving this administration.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And most likely, when realizing his mistake, quit. Damn! I wish congress wasn't mostly Republican right now. We'd be verging on impeachment.

8. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I'm just waiting to find out that Wilkerson is not only a disgruntled former careerist who was passed over by the wise men in the White House, but also gay, a life-long supported of the ACLU, and a secret member of John Kerry's French class. After all, just because he joins a growing number of former administration staffers who are blowing the whistle on their old bosses, it doesn't mean they all aren't lying through their teeth about our fearless leaders.

9. tristan macrumors 6502a

This is a very strange article. What exactly did Cheney authorize? And why would the VP have the authority over the military? And it mentions that Cheney withheld an NSC memo from Bush about Iraq troop levels. Wouldn't Rice have just given him the memo? And what's this thing about an "alternative security staff"? This article raises many more questions than it answers.

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I hear he's getting a book deal.

11. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

There you have it! Proof it all must be lies.:rolleyes:

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Unless it's Louis Freeh. He's a straight shooter who's telling nothing but the truth in his book!

And lets remember folks, it's not like this would be Powell's first involvement in a government cover-up.

After this act, Powell's career skyrocketed. He may be a loyal soldier, but that's not always a good quality.

13. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    Wow, I'd never seen that...thanks.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Hey, I quoted that one months ago! Powell is a loyal gang member to the point of being a total sell-out.

15. toontra macrumors 6502

Powell's UN presentation was probably the single biggest collection of exaggeration, omission and downright lies in any single speech in the build-up to war, and has been said, was instrumental in boosting homeland support for the war (though let's not forget it was rather less successful with the UN delegates themselves!).

The sad fact is that Powell was in a position to know that what he was saying was highly probably, if not definitely, ********. That being the case, I see him as being equally as culpable as Cheney, Rumsfeld & Bush - perhaps even worse, as I truly believe his instinct was telling him that what he was doing was wrong.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I've pointed it out in the past as well; there's always at least one person out there each time who says "Holy crap, I had no idea!", so it's worth pointing out again and again.

I want to like Powell, but a pattern of willingness to engage in these acts is unacceptable IMO. The character trait of 'the good soldier' only goes so far with me.