Former President Ronald Reagan Dies at 93

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacNut, Jun 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Former President Ronald Reagan Dies at 93
    By ROBERT JABLON, AP

WASHINGTON (June 5) - Ronald Reagan, the cheerful crusader who devoted his presidency to winning the Cold War, trying to scale back government and making people believe it was ''morning again in America,'' died Saturday after a long twilight struggle with Alzheimer's disease, a family friend said. He was 93.

He died at his home in California, according to the friend, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The White House was told his health had taken a turn for the worse in the last several days.

Five years after leaving office, the nation's 40th president told the world in November 1994 that he had been diagnosed with the early stages of Alzheimer's, an incurable illness that destroys brain cells. He said he had begun ''the journey that will lead me into the sunset of my life.''

Reagan body was expected to be taken to his presidential library and museum in Simi Valley, Calif., and then flown to Washington to lie in state in the Capitol Rotunda. His funeral was expected to be at the National Cathedral, an event likely to draw world leaders. The body was to be returned to California for a sunset burial at his library.

Reagan lived longer than any U.S. president, spending his last decade in the shrouded seclusion wrought by his disease, tended by his wife, Nancy, whom he called Mommy, and the select few closest to him. Now, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton are the surviving ex-presidents.

Although fiercely protective of Reagan's privacy, the former first lady let people know his mental condition had deteriorated terribly. Last month, she said: ''Ronnie's long journey has finally taken him to a distant place where I can no longer reach him.''
    "This is it."
    -Nancy Reagan told CBS News correspondent Mike Wallace

Reagan's oldest daughter, Maureen, from his first marriage, died in August 2001 at age 60 from cancer. Three other children survive: Michael, from his first marriage, and Patti Davis and Ron from his second.

Over two terms, from 1981 to 1989, Reagan reshaped the Republican Party in his conservative image, fixed his eye on the demise of the Soviet Union and Eastern European communism and tripled the national debt to $3 trillion in his singleminded competition with the other superpower.

Taking office at age 69, Reagan had already lived a career outside Washington, one that spanned work as a radio sports announcer, an actor, a television performer, a spokesman for the General Electric Co., and a two-term governor of California.

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i hope his family can mourn in peace. though not all his policies may have been the best, he was a good leader who had the mettle to make tough decisions

3. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    "Mr. Gorbachev, Tear Down This Wall."

I certainly didn't agree with all you did, but what you said that day will always be my favorite.

RIP, Ron. :(

4. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Just this morning I woke up an heard reports that "his health was deteriorating." Hours later, I started reading things like, "he has weeks to live." Soon that became hours, and now he has died.

How very sad.

Rest in peace President Reagan.

5. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I was too young to remember his presidency, but I'm glad for some of fighting he did, both while in office and out of office.

This is an interesting quote my brother found...

R.I.P. Ronald Reagan

6. dopefiend macrumors 6502

I wonder if anyone will remember him for his time in Hollywood, not just presidency.

He did say that those were his and Nancy's favorite years. :(

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm very saddened by the news, he was one of our great presidents. May he rest in peace. My prayers go out to his family and friends. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease and they all suffered.

I do remember him from his days as host on "20 Mule-team Borax Theater."

He transcended politics a former Democrat and president of the Screen Actors Guild. I felt very safe during his presidency. He gave us all pride in being an American. I felt proud to serve under him as Commander-In-Chief.

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/breaking.jsp?feature=reagan

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

May he now find peace with God.

I hope that the rhetoric of good and bad can be toned down in this thread. Let is suffice that Ronald Reagan had an effect on world events; whether good or bad.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I am very please that ABC is doing a live special to honor him. Barbara Walters & George Stephanopolis. They remarking on his intelligence and the love letters he wrote. Nancy said that he preferred to write a letter than to use the telephone.

CBS is going to do a special at 8pm EDT.

10. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

RIP ron thank you for all you have done to help this world may you know be blessed in heaven

11. legion macrumors 6502a

Yeah, nothing like spying on your fellow actors while working for the CIA as President of SAG. He also was a tool for McCarthy (a willingful-participant to that debacle in order to further his career)

I wonder if everyone will forget Iran-Contra? Or his curtailing funding for medical research using stem-cells (which in retrospect holds a great deal of irony) or his lack of action to fund research into AIDS that the CDC was calling for at the time-- all because he didn't want to seem politically sympathetic to the "wrong type of people"?

I remember the 80s.. remember "Greed is Good."

At least God has a sense of humour...
    :(

12. sambo. macrumors regular

sambo.

bye bye ronny raygun.......

i just hope we can sing Bye Bye Bush in November.

Ronny was much nicer than the current.......

13. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Show some respect. :rolleyes:

Look at the pattern in this thread....

14. legion macrumors 6502a

What, you don't see some irony that the guy who kills funding to stem-cell research, would have been helped by it latter in his life, and then his wife appeals to open stem-cell research back up again only for her husband to pass away a few days later. The big question is what happens now with Nancy's crusade and all the GOP members she got on board in the last few weeks. Does it all just drop out of sight in order to make sure it doesn't hurt Jr.'s re-election campaign by antagonizing the religious-right?

If it'll do me good, let's go for it. If it'll hurt my political career but help others, let's not. That does epotimize the 80s. Let's put "me" first.

15. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

There are plenty of other threads to discuss this legion, you should try and be respectful in this one. A man just died. He may not have been perfect, but try and take your political comments to another thread please.

16. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

It is sad...

I saw this last night on yahoo and again today on the front page. I am sad that he died but very sad that is was because of Alzheimer's disease, I wonder if scientists are going to start working harder on a cure? I never knew this until today, that he won all 50 states...just amazing.

he is probably one of the few actors that had any brain at all after retiring from acting.

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

It is hard to stifle some criticism, when so many others will want to gush endlessly. So where are political comments OK? Only in support? Maybe legion's comments were over the top; but there are some wounds (along with some successes) for this country from Reagan's eight years, and the legacy left behind.

At least now Ronald Reagan is now at peace. Having relatives with this dreaded disease, I understand the pain that Nancy went through. And given the deep love they had for each other, I do hope that she will have the strength to continue onward with her work for stem cell research.

18. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Yeah, when someone dies, like a notable president, it's time to put all the old animosities to bed, for just a bit. I think the "6 month rule" is in effect... Six months of mourning, then we can begin to talk about all the decietful things he did.
    As horrible as he was, Reagan was light-years better than the current bone-head.
    Potted Plant
    Fool Me Once

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Nice comments may be as justified as the criticisms when concerning his presidency, but this thread (and news) is about a man's death. Ever heard of being "tactful"? And yes, this is coming from a man with very little tact.

20. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

May he rest in peace.
    See you in six months.

21. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I wasn't old enough to know much about his presidency and poliitics. But, I see in Reagan a kind of leadership we're not likely to see again for some time. It's a dark day in America. May his family find peace.

Politics aside, Reagan was a remarkable man. We should all hope to be half the person Reagan was. I'm glad to see our nation united again, at least for one day. God Bless President Reagan, his family and friends, and most of all the United States of America.

Rest in Peace, and in the words of his surgeons, "today, Mr. President, we're all Republican's."

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't think that comment was called for in this thread. It has nothing to do with honoring Ronald Reagan. :(

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

He was a man of his convictions, I'll agree. Many of us lived Ronald Reagan's "history" first hand. For people like yourself, now is a good time to "catch up" on that not so distant part of our history. If you have the opportunity, the Washington Post has a number of great articles (both positive and not so positive) on the Ronald Reagan political life.

And you are right about asking for God's Blessings, yet I would say that for most of all that God (or the Deity of your chosen Faith) Bless the world during these troubled times.

24. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Maybe it was about honoring Ronald Reagan. For he and Jimmy Carter may have been some of the last people to run for the Office of the President of the US for personal conviction, not for personal ambition.

Reagan may not have been perfect, but he and his administration knew a thing or two about winning the hearts of the nation; not dividing it.

It is a shame that Alzheimer's robbed him and us of his vision that created the current Republican Party. I doubt that he would have approved of his Party's direction over the last twelve years.

For he was a man of character. Something lacking in many of our nation's political leaders today. And those with character can't survive the TV sound-bites, negative campaign ads, and the money that drives politics.

25. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

What horrible timing.

The man is barely "living" if you can even call it that for 10 years and then he dies on the weekend anniversary of D-Day and now his funeral services and all of these "remembrance" shows are going to steer the media's high powered critical eye away from very important issues; the so-called "handover" in iraq, various bush adminstration scandals in progress and in the making. And instead we will have weeks of lovie-dovie sentimental crap which only gives countless republicans a media free-for-all chance to have almost all the talking time. I am sure bush and his cronies and underlings in his administration will find a sneaky way to use this to their political advantage. I think I have heard more than enough already on TV about how greay reagan was, and how he saved the world, and how he really made people's lives oh so great and how it REALLY was "morning in america!" YAY!

But what REALLY is his legacy? More like his disastrous foreign, domestic, economic, and social policies. Not to mention the birth of the neo-con movement, what's so great about that? Making tax cuts "cool" again? Ending the Cold War? More like going insane with spending and just happening to be around when the USSR collapsed under its own weight. Then there were the countless scandals...ugh what a depressing week this will be. Ugh, now they are just giving these republicans countless hours on TV to compare reagan to bush, trying to meld to the two in the american people's minds, about how they are both such men of character and conviction, give me a break..."It's Reagan In America Again..." we had more than enough the first time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.