Former Tobacco Lobbyist Turned Governor Kills Statewide Anti-Smoking Program

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Dec 5, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

abcnews

cute little trick, huh?

2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I wonder how this racist pig got elected governer?

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Barbour was an ass when he was chairman of the RNC, and he's an ass now.

4. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Yeah!? Well your governor's a... a...

/walks away

:D

It should also be pointed out that our former AG earned for himself and won millions for the state by suing the tobacco firms. I guess Hayley's just paying them back.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This program couldnt account for where the money went? how is that possible? Sounds like more govt waste, take our tax dollars and then presto they are gone. Sounds like govt of tax and spend we all know to well. I allways find it amazing how govt is so good at taxing and so poor at accountability.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, a lot like "reconstruction" in Iraq. Where have millions of those dollars gone? It is disgusting when government doesn't keep track of what they spend. That's inexcusable.

7. stillwater macrumors regular

I think you mean billions. ;)

8. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Well, that state is a horrible. I stopped considering it part of the Union. Perhaps we need to excommunicate that guy. How did he become governor anyways?

Oh yeah, good ole Southern bribes eh? May the South fall and be annexed by Iraq.

9. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

actually, i think those funds come from the tobacco companies, as part of that states settlement a few years back. doesn't cost the taxpayers a thing, but it was costing the tobacco companies...

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's Mississippi.

11. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

12. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

I have a great Mississippi story.

I was on my way down to another wayward state (Louisiana) when I thought to stop at Subway. I was in the middle of nowhere. Rolling hills, a walmart on one side of the street, and a subway and a few other stores in a sorry looking chainmall on the other. I asked if I could get some water, bottled water or perhaps any other kind maybe from the pop fountain machine. He looked at me and told me he'd be right back. He grabbed a pitcher, walked back to the bathroom sink, and filled it up. He then offered me this 'ice cold' water with no remorse or surprise. Either I'm too urbanized or cleanly, or Mississippi clearly is the devils taint.

13. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Very sad.... true story for sure!

14. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Giving cigarettes away to the little kiddies again eh? :mad:

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'd say he should be looking for a new job come next election, but this is Mississippi. They wonder why we think they're dumb. I love it when people vote against their own benefit. Just scroll down to where he claims Katrina caught him by surprise, then read him praising Bush for the way he handled things.

He's been floated as a Presidential candidate for the way he dealt with Katrina "like Guiliani handled the aftermath of 9/11", which makes me laugh and cry at the same time.

16. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

There is no way anyone can believe that we should have been 'prepared' for Katrina, nor 09/11 for that matter. Are you prepared for the next 7.0 earthquake? :confused:

17. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yep, I am! :p

18. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

this IS Mississippi.

19. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

build a levee to hold a Cat 3, knowing full well there are Cat 5s that exist and WILL 100% come thru and attack these levees.

"thats the future peoples problem" they said.

look what happened.

as individuals, no certainly they couldnt have been prepared, but as a city, as a state, as a govt, they knew and didnt care to build the levees better or NOT build at all.

and they are rebuilding them almost exactly the same, so when another Cat 4 or 5 comes thru, SAME PROBLEM ALL OVER AGAIN.

:eek:

20. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

21. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

time travel?

someone actually brought it up, though I aint sure if he was serious. oh well.

:D

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It had already been declared a national emergency, and yeah, they are supposed to be prepared. I don't want to start the whole "who was at fault for the mess" thing here, I think there's plenty of blame to go around for the aftermath, but somehow he was seen as some kind of hero during it, when he didn't really do as much to help as some claim. Before, or during. I was just referring to a comment made by (fellow Republican) Joe Scarborough about the man. Figured it was relevant to the character of the man vs. perception.

Oh, and besides "Bin Laden Determined to Attack the US", I was referring to the fact that he was being compared to Rudy Giuliani before, during, and after 9/11. Which actually isn't much of a compliment. But sadly, it's just as apt.