Former Top Bush Aide Arrested

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Mar 12, 2006.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Meanwhile, back in the bra ads, more honor and dignity are returned to the White House.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-allen12mar12,1,6143395.story

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Bush has surrounded himself with crooks and draft dodgers, im not shocked at all. Cant ever remember a time when so many republicans are being hauled off to jail. What do you expect from a party that worships the dollar above all else. Bunch of crooks that we have allowed to take over our country. Lets change this.

4. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Somebody needs to check his resume.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Not to sound cynical ;) , but why is anyone surprised?

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Normally I'm not into guilt by association, but this does make me think maybe the Dems are on to something with this whole "culture of corruption" thing. An administration that thinks it can get away with anything, doing whatever they want without being caught, is usually going to try. Absolute power and all. Although, I have to admit, this is a new one. I'm not going to say I'm surprised, but the details are kinda something I didn't expect.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And just think... without the Democratic opposition, this guy would be sitting on the Circuit Court right now!

8. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I note the generally tepid response in the forum to this thread. It is because, as lee suggested, that we're no longer surprised, let alone outraged, by another White House staffer being brought up on criminal charges? Have we become that jaded? The Los Angeles Times did run the story deep into the newspaper, round about page A-25, suggesting that the editors thought it a minor issue. Who here thinks likewise?

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not among the underwear ads again, was it? I'm getting worried about you, IJ...

:D

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that's part of it, i think. personally, my expectations are so low that it's difficult to muster much vocal anger.

and in comparison, it's a petty crime. we've had a CIA agent outed, warrentless wiretapping, widespread election fraud, a shooting incident, and god knows what else. it's ludicrous. at some point one just throws up their hands and laughs about it.

we deserve who we elect. "we won't get fooled again" indeed.

11. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

So, what's the more voyeuristic activity -- gazing on the underwear ads or reading about the latest administration shining star being clapped in irons? I can't help it they run on the same pages of the newspaper. Maybe I'm getting two for my money.

12. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Petty crime, in what sense? Not literally, surely.

It's not that my expectations are high, but here we have yet another example of what Bush really meant when he said he'd "restore honor and dignity to the White House."

13. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

Oh, I checked it...he went to school with (former Radio Shack CEO) David Edmonson. All's good! :eek:

14. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Wow, who would sit and think this stuff up? When I saw it, IJ, my only real surprise was a certain begrudging admiration of the simple brilliance of his scheme. I guess they train you well in Karl Rove university. Other than that, as bad as this is, I admit to the "business as usual" take on this story and this administration.

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

in comparison. it's "only" $5k worth of fraud, miniscule compared to, say, the KBR and halliburton no-bid contracts.

or maybe i'm saying that the institutional crimes are more important than the personal ones, w/o taking anything away from this particular case.

16. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

It's the pettiness that gets to me. I'm not living a life of crime ... I'm holding out for the big one. I'm not risking prison for a measly $5000.

This guy's salary was $160,000 working for the White House. What the hell was he thinking?

Edit: I lived in the UK during the 90s. Members of the tory government got mired deeper and deeper in sleaze, so that eventually that's all you ever heard about. That was a large part of what defeated them in 1997.

The only difference between then in the UK and now in the US is that you heard about it (e.g http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/1485089.stm)

17. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Thinking? Please, don't make this too easy. ;)

Actually, his scheme was kind of clever. It's certainly a cut above your average kleptomania. In fact, it doesn't appear to be compulsive behavior, but rather a well-planned and executed fraud. As Sayhey said, maybe this is the kind of thing you learn on the knee of Karl Rove.

18. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

It's actually refund theft, more common and less clever than you might think. I actually thought of this myself a couple of weeks ago. I bought a shredder in Target, it didn't fit in any of their bags, so I just carried it on its own. On the way out I got the idea of coming back in, picking up another one and either walking out with it or going for a refund. Needless to say I didn't do it. It was just a thought.

I'm imagining him entering a Ballard-esque (see his novels Crash, Cocaine Nights, Super-Cannes) descent into petty crime for the thrill of it. But that's probably just romanticising it.

19. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The difference between thought and action... isn't that the difference between morality and immorality?

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Call me a chump, but I've never even thought of anything like that (refund theft). I'm almost 50 years old, and the idea of trying to get a refund on something I hadn't bought has never ever entered my mind.

I'm obviously not cut out for politics. ;)

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think that's a plus.

22. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

That, and being a chump. :)

23. aquajet macrumors 68020

24. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Well, have you ever walked past an empty car that someone has left running and had the urge to take it for a joyride?

Like I said, I'm waiting for my main chance. I'm not sure what my price will be, but I don't think even $500,000 will cut it. If I'm going to risk prison, it'll have to be just one attempt. I guess it'll have to wait until I'm CFO or CEO of a multibillion dollar company before I can loot it.

Considering I'm just a senior level software engineer, it's unlikely I'll be in that position so I'm just going to have to be honest for the rest of my life.

Seriously though, I think I thought about it only because for the past couple of months I've been thinking about security for the webmail client I've been working on, and got into the mindset of looking for security holes (by the way, I found a HUGE security hole that would allow someone to permanently delete all a recipient's email through their viewing an email ... sorry, I can't say what product that is or how exactly to do that).

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hey now, to be fair, I even started a thread on this topic myself but wound up about 10 minutes behind you with a less effective headline.

Like I said in that thread however, it's a good thing Bush can look into people's eyes and know their heart. I'm sure he looked into Claude's eyes and found a thief -- then went to promote him to the court anyway.

Of course, I wondered at the time if Rove had pictures of John Roberts in heels and makeup to guarantee he votes the way he said he would...