Formula 1: Italian Grand Prix (September 10th)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by M. Malone, Aug 27, 2006.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Since there are only 4 races left this season in the Formula 1 calendar, I thought it would be a good idea to make one thread per race, so this is one of four this year.

All comments regarding the Italian GP should be on this page :)

Monza Track Information

This year's Italian GP should be significant, Schumacher is expected to finally make an announcement on whether he's retiring or not, that decision will affect other drivers as well, mainly Kimi, so we'll see what happens in 2 weeks time

2. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

iGav should like this. :) As do I.

I recently read a comment from Schu stating that his decision may come later.

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Schu has the fitness to race competitively for 5+ years in F1, but the key is his mental fitness...if he feels that he's "losing it" or gets bored or fed up with the circus he won't be competitive anymore.

As long as he feels he can win and wants to win he will stay - his will to race will give out long before his body does.

I hope he makes an announcement in Italy but I have a feeling he may wait until this Driver's Championship has been decided...

4. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I think he (Schumacher) will announce that he's going to continue racing, but only at the end of the season, and only because I think Alonso will win the championship again. I think Michael Schumacher will want to "go out" as a champion, and with Alonso moving to a new team next season, and with the improvements to this years Ferrari, I think next season Schumcaher will think that he'll be the favourite to win!

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I agree. I think that Michael believes that he has the capability to decide to go out on top and make it happen, and he will continue to race with Ferari till he wins another championship, at which point he'll retire. Does that include this season? I suppose it does, but I also think that Alonso will win this one.

And Alonso will not be as competitive next year, let's face it. Unless McLaren really turn their program around in the off season whoever gets the open seat at Renault will probably be fighting Michael for the championship in '07, unless Honda starts living up to their hype. Too bad Webber or Button won't be in a Renault next year.

6. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Alonso will not make it this year. Why? Ferrari is in amazing pace right now and Renault has had some of their tech banned. And Massa is way better 2nd driver than Fisi.

If there would not have been safety car issue in the last race, there would have easily been a Ferrari one-two, and in another order than what we now saw. In that case Schumi would have got 4 points more than Alonso, making the points difference only six. Now it's twelwe. It takes three perfect races for Ferrari to make the difference to zero, and if it's like that, Alonso will have to fear Massa in the last race.

As strange as it is, I'm actually supporting Schumi this year.

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Alonso still has the upper hand I think, with his points advantage. He seems to be able to step up his pace to match Michael too. Ferrari will close the gap, but I think that Alonso's early string of victories this season will be critical. But if he wins, he will have done it alone. At this point Fisi could be most useful to the team by driving Massa off the road and taking him out of the equation. He certainly can't outrun him. :rolleyes:

8. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

I think that even if he decides to retire, he will stil stay in the frame for a long time with Ferrari. I can see him being in the setup for a long time, possibly as a test driver. The reason that he was waiting for Monza was Ferrari's home GP so i think that an announcement saying that he will race next season is likely... or Ferrari will give him a nice send off.

9. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

I don't know, he stated a few years ago that when his driving career is over so is his involvement in F1 even though Ferrari had said he had a job for life. Maybe he'll take on a spokesman role at special events but not much more, I think.

10. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

I agree with that, I also think most of the other teams in the beginning of the 2007 season, including Renault and Honda, won't be able to utilize the Bridgestone tires as good as Ferrari can, I'd expect an advantage for all the Bridgestone users this year, and I'm pretty sure Bridgestone will favor Ferrari over any team because of their history together.

Alonso has stated that the rest of this season well depend on what the tire companies can do because both the Ferraris and Renaults are pushed to their limits, what do you all think if both teams used the same tires?
    in my opinion, the Ferraris have the mechanical and aero edge over Renault...

11. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

All Schumacher has done in his life is race (soccer as well), racing is his passion and love, for him to completely walk out of F1 seems impossible, he may be able to get away for a year or 2, but he is a racer, and I think he will do everything to stay in racing, whether heading a team (I have read rumors about him making a deal to head an Audi F1 team) or even testing for Ferrari. so a complete walk out on F1 is highly unlikely.

12. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

13. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Team Schumacher would be awesome! :)

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'm pretty sure going out on top isn't what he wants, as he has said so quite a few times.
    I wonder if he would go back to sports cars and endurance races again, because that would be awesome. Let's just hope he doesn't try to emulate Webber's antics. As long as M-B doesn't get back into it, I don't think there will be a problem :D

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I also don't think that Schu will turn away from racing after retiring from F1. Maybe we won't see him racing in the Masters series but I'm sure he'll be around in some capacity - people like him are born and die within the sound of an engine being thrashed to within an inch of its life.

16. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Next Seasons race timetable

Next years F1 timetable has been released and it's going to be reduced from 18 races to 17. No Imola and only one race in Germany.

San Marino loses Grand Prix race - BBC

17. iGav macrumors G3

They'll be at least 18 races next season, and if Bernie doesn't want a revolt, by fans they'll be 19.

Imola will be in late April, and they should have a Pacific GP at Suzuka in October... I still can't believe they replaced Suzuka with f**king Mt. Fuji Speedway. :rolleyes:

18. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Agreed, Suzuka was some kind of track, that 130R is just amazing, I really hope it does make an eventual return to the calendar :D

19. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Wasn't Toyota behind that? :(

20. iGav macrumors G3

What is going on with the F1 calendar?

Imola's a cert, the last I heard they were pretty much restoring the circuit from Rivazza all the way down to Tamburello with a straight run, and getting rid of the Variante Bassa, it's still one of the saddest sights in F1 what they did to Tamburello... I doubt even Senna would have wanted them to demasculinite it the way that they did... imagine, a flat out, straight run from Rivazza all the way down to Tosa. :cool:

Suzuka's less certain... sadly. :(

21. iGav macrumors G3

Yep. :mad:

There's a couple of things that I hoped I'd have got to see in my life, see R.E.M. live... (done that) a Space Shuttle launch (hopefully will be there to see the last one) and to watch Schumacher at Suzuka.

I think I am going to bitterly regret not being able to witness the last one. :(

22. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Just read this:

The Guardian is reporting that Ferrari will announce signing three drivers at Monza, Kimi Raikkonen, Felipe Massa and Michael Schumacher. But their roles with the team won't be announced until a later date.

Meanwhile, AS (Spanish paper) says Kimi has signed with Renault with a clause stating that if MS retires he is free to go to Ferrari.

Sounds like everyone is waiting on Schu?

http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/060830100406.shtml

23. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Pretty much everyone is waiting on Schu.

Many of the team bosses were against 19 GPs, but I was expecting to see Imola.

24. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Kimi beats Schumacher to start first, but BARELY, AHH!!! but the excellent news is Alonso has been penalized for blocking Massa and will start tenth on the grid, I really hope Schumacher can capitalize well off of this great fortune, I really want him to retire as champ.