Formula 1 question

Discussion in 'Community' started by eva01, Aug 9, 2005.

1. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    A friend just asked me what a formula 1 car exhausts pipe is made out off? like what metal is the pipe made out of.

I have no idea about cars especially specialty cars like racing cars, and i know a lot of people here are formula 1 fans, so thanks in advance.
  2. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    most teams keep their engines a secret, but i would guess aircraft aluminum or carbon fiber. aluminum can with stand higher temperature without cracking, but a few drivers cracked their exhaust while racing so who knows.
  3. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2005
    I have a vid athome of some guy actually building the exhaust pipes for the team that is all he does all day but i cannot remember what they were made of it was definitly an alloy of some king if nobody answers i will try to find it :)
  4. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Apr 15, 2003
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    looks like titanium, probably a titanium/aluminum alloy of some sort. I would think an aluminum alloy by itself would melt.
  5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    F1 exhausts run very hot, but have to be light - probably titanium or a titanium alloy with other exotic metals.

Carbon fiber can't take the heat, and aluminum is heavier and less heat-resistant than titanium alloys.

Whatever it is, you can be sure it is $$$$$$$$$$$ :eek:
  6. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    I recall reading that Williams use (or at least used to) a superalloy called Inconel.