Formula 1 question

Discussion in 'Community' started by eva01, Aug 9, 2005.

1. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

A friend just asked me what a formula 1 car exhausts pipe is made out off? like what metal is the pipe made out of.

I have no idea about cars especially specialty cars like racing cars, and i know a lot of people here are formula 1 fans, so thanks in advance.

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

most teams keep their engines a secret, but i would guess aircraft aluminum or carbon fiber. aluminum can with stand higher temperature without cracking, but a few drivers cracked their exhaust while racing so who knows.

3. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

I have a vid athome of some guy actually building the exhaust pipes for the team that is all he does all day but i cannot remember what they were made of it was definitly an alloy of some king if nobody answers i will try to find it :)

4. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    looks like titanium, probably a titanium/aluminum alloy of some sort. I would think an aluminum alloy by itself would melt.

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

F1 exhausts run very hot, but have to be light - probably titanium or a titanium alloy with other exotic metals.

Carbon fiber can't take the heat, and aluminum is heavier and less heat-resistant than titanium alloys.

Whatever it is, you can be sure it is $$$$$$$$$$$ :eek:

6. iGav macrumors G3

I recall reading that Williams use (or at least used to) a superalloy called Inconel.