Formula One and Speed TV

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iTwitch, May 11, 2006.

1. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Is anyone out there getting their F1 fix via Speed TV? i was just checking the schedule for the Spanish GP, the pratice and qualifying are at their normal times but the actual GP won't be shown till May 20th. WTF. Along with the reduced F1 programming we in the states seem to be getting left out.

BTW, I sent feedback to Speed and if the other 2 or 3 fans would send some it couldn't hurt? :eek:

2. iGav macrumors G3

They're showing practice sessions but not the race??? unbelievable :eek: :rolleyes:

No wonder F1's struggling for acceptance in the U.S. :rolleyes:

3. Perfusion macrumors newbie

That's screwed up... Speed *always* shows the race live, no matter the time of day, and then rebroadcasts again at a "normal" hour...:mad:

4. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

It's 'cause CBS or some other network is carrying the race same day. You have to wait a week to see it on SPEED... worth it, from what I've heard of the horrible announcing job done by Ralph Sheehen.

5. iTwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Thanks, I didn't think the Spanish GP was one of four races on CBS.

Edit: i just found one schedule that has it on CBS at 1:00pm DST?

Monte Carlo and Silerstone are the other two remaining races to air on CBS.

6. iGav macrumors G3

Mute the telly... and just loop the the instrumental bit from the end of Fleetwood Macs 'The Chain'. Works a treat. ;) :D

7. iTwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Sorry for another follow-up. Can anybody confirm CBS? I'm in Baltimore and Yahoo! TV list a baseball game, Kansas City at Baltimore, this could suck?

8. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

9. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

CBS will play the race this weekend, Speed will replay it next weekend. CBS sucks though :mad:

I wish F1 came in HD though, that'd be awesome!

10. iTwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

As I thought, our local CBS affiliate choose to show baseball instead of F1. :mad:

11. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Ever since Speedvision was bought by Fox and changed to the Speed Channel, it's basically been a 24/7 infomercial for fox's nascar races. There used to be a ton more F1 and touring car series races.

12. iTwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

I wrote Speed complaining about the reduction, not that I was expecting much. I use to like watching the older races and that series last year replaying the '95 season was cool.

13. Radu macrumors newbie

Music

Any of you folks seen the Spanish Grand Prix Qualifying on Speed? The opening piece of the program was a slow montage of the track at Barca and stuff, cut together to a piece of music. Does anyone recognize what music that was??????

14. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

Precisely. Even my wife enjoyed watching some F1 races with me when they actually did show them. Same with WRC, but the Speed channel has dedicated so much of their content to Nascar that I'm about to cancel my subscription to it.

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think that we should get a bunch of people together, and write/e-mail/fax, etc. FOM (who controls the TV rights for F1), since it's their call on what races get shown on broadcast. The current contract between Fox/SPEED allows for up to 4 GPs per season to be shown on a broadcast channel at FOM's discretion. It would be better for current F1 fans, and those new to the series, for the races to be broadcast on FOX, with the SPEED commentating team (Matchett, Hobbs, Varsha). Show it live on SPEED, then replay it on Fox in the afternoon. This would allow it to reach more people, AND serve current fans by having quality commentators (former F1 driver (Hobbs), and former Benneton mechanic (Matchett)).

16. iTwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Counterfit:

Not a bad idea, if you come up with an appropriate letter or pettition count me in. I hate F1 on broadcast TV, I could live with the crappy announcers if I was able to see the race but our local CBS station has pulled F1 on more than one occasion. Give me a break it's only 4 races. Oh well, I might watch the rerun on Speed but I hate knowing the ending.