Fort Walton Beach, FL

Discussion in 'Community' started by cr2sh, Sep 4, 2003.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I'm flying out tomorrow into Atlanta and then into Fort Walton Beach. The company is sending me down for around two weeks to locate some utilities, but as this is the end of tourist season and right in the middle of hurricane season, it should be a lot of fun. I'm hoping I get to see a hurricane in person, though I'm not up on the weather conditions.
    I've never been to this part of Florida before, so if anyone can recommend something to do that'd be great. Anyone ever been there or live around there? I gotta go get a carry on bag and then start packing...

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

well I hate to burst any bubbles...but the only thing u actually see as far as hurricanes go is nasty rain...

maybe some flooding if u are lucky...

and if u are really lucky...bad wind destroying things...

not all that great...but we do throw parties for th em... ;)

3. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yea, that is my hometown. If you have the money, go to the Elephant walk for dinner. Amazing place to eat. AJ's for night life, Woody's safe sex pub is fun. Also, Nighttown if you like to dance.

Force yourself to take a day and go to SeaSide. One of the most amazing places in the world. DON"T MISS SEASIDE!

4. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

wow, there for a bit i was second guessing this thread.. glad i did. thanks!

I've got a condo on the ocean... but... im guessing thats not what you mean by seaside...

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Never been to that part of Florida myself, but I might be going down there before the end of the year.

What's so special about Seaside?

D

6. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Just don't die from the humidity! It's been ungodly this week with the humidity lately. Just today I walked into my room after dinner and my book I need to read for class tomorrow is all curled up and soggy and my PowerBook's screen was dripping wet from the dense humidity in the room. Drink lots of water, if you are driving, be careful of hydroplaning, don't act like a tourist (being a Floridian, I will tell you, we HATE tourists, so try not to act like one!) and just enjoy it. Personally, I love hurricanes...they are so damn exciting. Have fun!

7. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

SeaSide is a town to the east of Ft. Walton. They filmed the Jim Carey Movie the Turman Show there.

Here is a link to SeaSide. It is some of the most amazing architecture in the world, and Brides Magazine rated it the #1 honeymoon spot in the world.
    http://www.seasidefl.com/

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ah, yeah, I know what you're talking about now. Cool stuff.

Also, you might want to empty your PM box - I tried to send you something, but you were full.

D

9. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

It is empty. Send away my brother ;)

10. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Okay boys, I'll see you in two weeks.. maybe by then you'll all have your dual g5s and your new 15" powerbook... hah! :)

Thanks again BTM!

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Seaside is very well known as an early example of New Urbanist developement. The principle design firm Duany Platter-Zyrberk is renowned for their approach to planning issues. The whole place is designed to be walked through, getting people away from their cars. It encourages a rich architectural look by a simple but effective urban code designed to be prescriptive rather than proscriptive, the code describes what form a building can and should take, rather than what it can't be. The result has been dramatic, with each house being unique but similiar, creating a depth of character that many generic developements lack.

Thumbs up!

Funny thing I found in my planning book... There's a caption by a picture of a kind of crappy looking neighborhood that talks about years of poor planning in Florida's waterfront areas of the north gulf coast. It mentions that some people refer to that area as the "Redneck Rivera". :D Guess the authors wern't locals!