Fortune magazine recommends Apple's iMac G5 for back-to-sch...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Aug 3, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502

There's also a nice mention of the ibook on the second page, though it was written just before the most recent update.

3. macrumors 6502

"Laptop computers have many advantages for most students, but desktop systems make much more sense for science, engineering and software programming students because they offer more computing power and greater expandability than most laptops"

did anyone else find this to be over-stepping a generality?

" Prices for the iMac G5 17-inch widescreen model start at $1,299."

apple.com lists it's student price iMac G5 17-inch model starting at $1199.

'great journalism : fast turtle'

4. macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Also from that page:
    What? Anybody else disagree? :p

5. Moderator emeritus

devilot

Hmm, honestly? I can't see how I can-- considering how I have thought about majoring in English, history, or art, and I have handed in applications to Peet's coffee (now that is real coffee, not Starbux).

6. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah... hmmm... students in those fields also work on a lot of collaborative group projects, because they're fields where one person often cannot do a task by themselves, due to the scale of the task. So laptops are very useful in those fields.

'Sides which, most engineering students, at least when I was in Engineering, were not running Catia or UG at home. Maybe Pro-E once in a while. And none of that will run on an iBook or PB anyway.

But most of them were doing things more along the lines of Office, Mathematica and Matlab at home. Which would work just fine on a notebook.