Forum etiquette

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by cayley, Apr 3, 2007.

1. cayley macrumors member

I'm new here...

Scenario:
    I post a question and someone replies with an answer. I have nothing new to add, but the answer was helpful and I'm grateful for it.

Should I:
    1) Reply to the post that basically just says, "Thank you."
    2) Not reply as it'll just bump what should be a closed thread.

What are your thoughts?

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

A reply is good etiquette. I hate it when you offer solutions to a problem and the OP never replies whether it helped or not. Would also let others know not to reply and would help if one ever searched the topic.

Welcome!!

3. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

My thought is that you should treat people like you would like to be treated. I don't think a single post expressing your gratitude would be a bad thing, and could help to encourage people to help out more often.

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I think it's useful if the OP replies to say if the advice offered solved their issue – then if in the future someone searches the site looking for an answer for the same problem they can see if the suggested solution works. Plus of course it's basic good manners.

Feel free to reply and thank me for sharing my thoughts. ;)

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Not only is a simple "Thank you, that solved it" nice to get, but getting feedback that the problem was solved (and if applicable what solved it) is very useful both for those giving the advice and for others who might look for solutions to their (similar) problem(s).

Edit: Man, I gotta stop opening several tabs... :eek:

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

replying that it works is good. also you can edit your post to say that such-and-such's solution worked to fix your problem, if you don't want to bump the thread.

7. cayley thread starter macrumors member

Great. What I was hoping to hear... feels awkward not giving a "Thanks." Thanks all. :)

8. mpw Guest

If anybody helps me in these forums I generally Private Message them with a couple of nekked photos, it saves bumping a thread unnecessarily, but lets them know I appreciate their efforts.

I hope this helps.

9. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

10. mpw Guest

Up yours™!

11. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

12. vniow macrumors G4

Woah, I'm actually surprised someone asked about etiquette instead of just assuming such and such.

Kudos to you.

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

In most cases, little one-word forum posts like "yep" and "cool" and "lol" are removed by the moderators. But "Thanks" is an exception. Showing appreciation for help you received is good for all parties involved, so nobody is left in the dark about whether the solution worked or if you are still hoping to get a better solution.

Sometimes the original poster can say more than thanks, such as reporting how well or how quickly the solution worked, if there were any glitches, or any tips for avoiding the problem in the first place. In other words, information that will help others who happen upon the thread or find it using a forum search in the future. This all depends on the nature of the problem, of course.

14. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I the help forum etc, we could have a feature that could allow a thread to be closed when a solution has been reached i.e. original question solved, I believe apple have this feature on their forums. This will tell the repliers that the answer has been solved and when people search the thread they will be able to find answers quickly. (If only people tried searching before posting new items:rolleyes: )

15. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

On Apple's forums, this is an incredibly frustrating feature. The amount of times I've gone back to post "it didn't work please suggest something else" only to find the thread has been locked and marked as solved :(

16. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I agree -- you shouldn't lock a thread just because it seems "solved" -- very often later someone will come up with a new dimension to the same problem.

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It would be nice to be able to rate threads with how many helpful replies it has or designate it as a solved problem, but that's another topic...

18. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

The we'de have a big problem like crappy Xbox live ratings :( That would be teh suxz0r!

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't play XBox. What's the problem with the ratings?

20. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Well its basically a popularity contest and the "1337er" players always have high ratings while "n00bs" just get pwned by everyone. Its not about working your way up through the ranks, it should be about something else like giving credit where it is due.

21. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ahh, okay. I wouldn't mean for members to get ratings so much as for threads to be marked as helpful or solved. :cool:

22. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I completely agree with rdowns, responding to someone's post (even if by pm) is a very courteous thing to do. :)

23. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The problem with PM is future readers don't know whether the solution worked.

24. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I thought etiquette was potatoes in breadcrumbs. Or was it a game played with a ball and mallets?