Forum Liars

Discussion in 'Community' started by carbonmotion, Feb 28, 2005.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    You know it really pisses me off when a site like or Tom's does a review on macs and all of a sudden the forum gets filled with ya sayer and nay sayer zealots. Now I could live with that annoyance but one thing in particular bothers me. Everytime I go there, it seems there is always someone from the pc said saying something like this "Oh I own 1.33 15" powerbook as my primary laptop and have many Windows XP boxes lying around. I hate my Powerbook because it's slow and crashes just as much as my windows boxes. Apple lied... boo hoo hoo" Seriously! You just spent 2gs on a laptop that you hate using and has no significant advantage over windows but has worse software compatibility? Why!? Why not just ebay it and make yourself happy with a dell or something? As a 15" owner myself, I have yet to meet someone who hate their widepbook that they droped 2gs on. So those ppl must have some massive inferiority complex. I'm sorry, but that's just how I feel about it. :confused:
  2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
  3. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    Trust your own judgment; don't worry about what others say. Peace.
  4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    everyone needs to vent every now and again, just gotta get it out of your system sometimes, but i totally know how you feel, some people are hypocrites, oh well
  5. apple2991 macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    Release your anger. Only then will you feel the power of the dark side.
  6. MacNut macrumors Core

Jan 4, 2002
    Get a paper bag and breath in and out in and out. :)
  7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    c|net reviews are like that. People know that the products are bad even before they're available to the public. :D

However, I think there are a lot of people out there who couldn't have a good-running machine, even if someone else maintained it. :eek:
  8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    You and gwu are so right on target. This is a sore point as the internet grows to be a "source" so many "trust".

I work in the photo retail industry. There are sites like DP Review that I and others "trust" to a degree, much like any magazine review on a camera or car. What gets to me and others are the "forum" based reviews.

One has to take and look at the basics and compare it to real world. When I needed a computer to do DTP and photographic work, if I were to have believed some - I would have needed to go with the PM dual G4 or G5. Yet it is amazing that my PB 12" rev b or my eMac seems to be able to handle what I give it. To be honest both my DTP and PS work did not require major processing power that a few seconds/minutes here and there would have made a difference in my productivity.

I may be labeled as a "fan boy", but having played/sold/used both Apples and Win boxes over the years, the new OS X boxes have lead to a more peaceful co-exsistance between me as a user and my hardware. No longer am I a Windows geek, looking at every DLL. For the most part, I plug something into my Mac and it "just works". I have only had to reinstall the OS X system from scratch just once because of my own stupidity. Not because I went to the "wrong" website.

When given the chance I will tell others of my success with OS X. If some listen and buy the Mac, so be it. On the other hand I tell those that come to me latter with there woes, find someone at Microsoft that cares.
  9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
  10. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004
    before you say to much just look here at nay sayers that bash windows ever chance they get and if any one says something bad about the mac they bash them.
  11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Mind you for some of us, it is not about "bashing" Windows.

It used to be a "hobby" of mine trying to "figure out" what was wrong with Windows. DLL's became my friend and enemy. I am not trying to be a "fan boy" here, but since moving to the OS X environment, more of my time is available to me for real world stuff - including MR. :D

That is not to say that OS X is without fault. As much as I like Epson, they have caused me more than a few remaining hairs on the top of my head (with not that many remaining) trying to work past some of their driver issues.

The point I have about MS and Windows is that going off to the "wrong" website should not fill my screen with pop up ads. And such "spyware/adware" should not require me to do a clean install of the OS. Or require me to buy multiple vendors versions of virus/spyware/adware elimination programs to clean up the mess that MS should have blocked in the first place.
  12. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i do know somebody who preferred their g3 desktop (beige 233 mhz) to their 233 mhz g3 powerbook

and i know somebody who prefers their powermacs and lcd imac to their tibook

in both cases, i think posture, typing, use of a mouse make the desktop easier to operate...laptops are not for everybody

i love my ibook and pc laptop because i like to lounge around and use my computer that way and don't really like sitting at a desk...i have spent enough hours in school or work situations at a desk in front of a computer and when i sit at a desk at home, i really don't feel like i am relaxing for some reason

i will embark on an online grad school program and i know in order to effectively do my work there, i can't lie down on a couch and seriously get any work in that case i will resort to a desktop