Forum Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Sepulchre, May 27, 2002.

1. Sepulchre macrumors member

Hi.

I'm having a few problems viewing this forum, IE in OSX dosnt seem to want to display forum topics or muliple page markers so i can only get one page deep in a topic.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so and you found a solution please pass it on.

Sepulchre

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

hmm.. i know this is a stupid question, but...

did you try rebooting??

irmongoose

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

sometimes I find that the entire contents will not show up when I come to a new page either...

what I find works when IE starts freaking out is just relaunching it...

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

IE?? Don't worry, the problem is something incredible simple, but IE is so ****ing stupid. Just reboot, that should fix it.

If you have dail-up, disconnect/reconnect may also fix the problem.

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

I wonder if IE, a Microcoughed-based browser, is going to cause so much problems on a Mac forums site...

There could be a conspiracy going around! :)

Fear the King.

6. Sepulchre thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies, however yes i did re-boot, yep i have re-started IE and nadda no fix.

The strange thing is this happens on both my macs. Exact same thing.

I'm stumpt. Any more ideas?

ta

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Reinstall the newest version of IE, that's the only thing I can think of. I'm running the same specs as you and it works fine, so something on the machine is screwy.

8. resm macrumors 6502

forum problems

Sepulchre... are you using Norton ?

9. Sepulchre thread starter macrumors member

resm....yep I *was* using norton, with the privacy control turned on to filter out adds. Looks like it was filtering out the forum threads too :(

So with it turned off all is well again. I think i can set it up to ignore 'ads' from this site or domain, not sure if i can or how but i'll look into it.

Thanks all for you help

10. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Not trying to sound cocky, but how are you viewing these suggestions if you cant view the forum?

Im assuming you are using a 3rd computer (PC), but wanted to ask just to be sure...........

:D

My suggestion: re-install IE

11. Sepulchre thread starter macrumors member

I wondered when someone might ask me that :D

Well i was using IE in classic, thankfully since finding Nortoin was the culprit i can now answer you using IE in 10.

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Norton what??? Are you referring to the Firewall software??? I have NSW2 on my TiBook and the only active part of it is NAV. I have found that I didn't need the Firewall software, since I made my home network a closed/private one.

13. Sepulchre thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I should have been a little more precise - its norton internet security that's installed. The one with NAV and Norton Firewall, plus Privacy control.

Basically it was the Ad blocker in the Norton Privacy control part of the package that was causing the problems.

Hope that helps

14. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Have you ever stopped to think that there are people here that DON'T want to use a different browser????

I just attempted to use the lastest non-beta copy (listed as freeware via versiontracker, NOT beta). It has improved some... but has crappy handling of sites with frames.

I will wait for them to get things right before I try again. Frames are a very important feature of web pages with many sites using them. I'd even venture to say that most sites have frames of some sort or another integrated into them. If a browser cannot handle them correctly, then it's not going to stay on any of my systems... That's all there is too it.

As for omniweb, I'm still waiting for them to get it right. I'll give almost any freeware version a shot, as long as it's not listing as a beta.

16. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

I had the same problem..

a few weeks ago. There is a old thread here about it. Same solution, turn off Norton Internet Security (add filter).

-evildead