Forum Reorganization (Buyersguide, User Projects)

Discussion in 'Site News' started by arn, Jul 31, 2003.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

New Forum: Buying Tips, Advice, and Discussion
    Description: Read

User Projects and Mac Scene forums have been merged into:

Mac Scene

Addendum:

Dedicated Help Forum removed. Posts have been integrated into:

Hardware Discussion and Help
    Software Discussion and Help

arn

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I don't like that the Mac Buyer's Guide
    guide supersedes the Mac Discussion. I like the change, just not the order on the Mac Forums page. It might make sense to reorder them. Don't most people use the Discussion area more? It just would be easier to scroll to less visited areas. But perhaps that's intentional.

I was also just getting used to the "Mac Scene" forum.

3. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Yeah... I think part of the reasoning was because the LinkShop and the Buyer's Guide are sorta "main site" items... and felt like lumping them with the first block.

The new combined forum is still basically Mac Scene... but with user projects too. Renamed to Mac Scene. The other name was bit too cumbersome.

arn

4. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I don't plan to argue beyond this point, but because the sites name is MacRumors, discussion about Macs should take precedence over the purchasing of them. To undermine my point, maintaining the forums in this current order will likely generate more traffic in the proper spots, as well as add traffic to forums that are not as well established as the older ones.

5. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I'm not sure I agree with that.

I think a huge reason people seek out Mac rumors is to make purchasing decisions. At least initially. Then, the obsession kicks in.... :)

arn

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i think it works fine either way I mean most people have their set forums they check and post in and they always goto the same ones, I go all the way down from the new articles to the pirvate section and the wasteland anyway so I'm gonna see it anyway and anything that might prevent those dumb i want a powerbook now threads is good news to me.

7. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Again, undermining my arguments. Traffic for sales.
    I did just that (though at the iBookzone.com and AppleInsider.com). My points were about the name and the site traffic. In any case, this is the best forum site that I participate in. It is the only one I check daily. It is well administered and moderated, and I love how the community is generally self-policing.

Thanks for the quick response.

Cheers!

8. job macrumors 68040

job

9. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

It's gone away for now. :)

Why?

arn

10. job macrumors 68040

job

There were a few threads which I occasionally read. Even with the numerous flames/arguments etc. I still found that some of the threads provided interesting, albeit passionate (;)) commentary on events. It's cool though. :)

11. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Like all the changes, except getting rid of the Help Forum. Yes, it'll generate more traffic everywhere, but it also means help threads can get hijacked into general discussion. And lemme tell you, when you're on the short end of a technical glitch or problem, you don't appreciate having your requests for help turning into discussion about what computer you shouldn't buy and why. Now, that did happen occasionally in the Help Forum (thankfully relatively rarely), but I see it happening a lot more in consolidated forums.

Or, for that matter, since the single help forum has been split between hardware and software, what about people who don't know whether it's a software or hardware issue (ex. "Computer boots with a question mark before shutting itself off automatically" or, for that matter "Problems using new FireWire drive"). A similar situation exists with tips: what about tips that encompass both realms: overclocking, cleaning, optimizations, etc?

I know, I comment/complain/warn ominously about just about every change to the site, and have been proven both right and wrong, but seriously, I think getting rid of the dedicated help/tips forum is a bad idea.

12. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Well, the problem was that the software forum and hardware forums ended up being help forums anyway.

I'm not sure if you saw what was in the Software forum before the merge. Like 15/20 of the first 20 threads were basically help threads.

Half the hardware threads were Buying questions, and the other half were help questions.

And then there were all the Help Forum threads too. MacRumors is setup a little odd due to the main site forum -- which generally handles much of what people would talk about in the Hardware/Software Threads.

There will be some borderline cases... but it was pretty unorganized before.

arn

13. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I like the combined help forums, its more elegant, the Helps and Tips forum was always being posted with stuff that had been in Hardware or Software, less forums is a generally good thing I think.

The buyers guide is a very nice site touch anyway, supporting it in the forums makes a lot of sense.

14. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I must agree with the comment about coming here because of a purchase decision and being sucked in. I was originally searching for reviews on the Ti Powerbook, 12", and the 17" and came upon this site and now it's my homepage. I've ended up learning a lot of Mac history, tips and tricks, insight on what I could buy with my new PowerBook to extend my productivity, and what may be on the horizon for the future when I do get my PowerBook. I think the new organization is good and I hope to see future changes as the site grows to help meet the needs of everyone who comes here for either help and info or general interest.

15. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Same here. I did a Yahoo! search on 1GHz iMac and ended up here. Now it's like checking email.

Couple of questions, though. (I know they're probably answered somewhere in the site but I looked and looked...)

"Newbie" is first, right? Then either "Member" or "Regular," which makes sense. But what about "6502" and the other number designations? Then there are the "Demi-gods," right? Are they all contributors/moderators?

It's not really that important but I'm curious.

PowerBook G5: You must be on vacation or something. ;) That was a pretty quick rip up the MacRumors hierarchy. Anyway, I sure hope your namesake sees the light of day. (It'll be my next Mac.)

Cheers,
    Squire