Forum Reorganization

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by arn, Apr 22, 2005.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

The forum is going to undergo a major reorganization in the next few days.

I just wanted some input/opinions on it before it takes place.

Here's the current proposal. And I guess I should say the reasons behind the reorganization.

1) Unfortunately, the way this forum has evolved, there is by nature significant overlap in News stories and various subforums. As a result, it has been overweighted in the News/Rumors area.

2) The buying tips area has grown and is a very popular forum on the site.. . for obvious reasons. I think it needs to stay... even thought it is a more abstract division than forums traditionally have.

3) Purchase Recommendations/Reviews is a failure as people simply post their questions in that forum.

4) Overall goals of mine are to simply forums, and reduce redundancy. I don't mind creating more forums if necessary... but I'd rather not create a bunch of new forums that few people will use.

Here's the proposed update for now:

A few things I'm unsure about. I don't know if I like having "Technical Help" and "New to Mac" as separate forums. I'm not sure if a "New to Mac" forum is needed, but would be inviting to new comers.

arn

2. noel4r macrumors 6502a

The Technical Help would be useful as a separate forum so people who have problems can easily find it.

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

I think it makes sense to have Technical Help and New to Mac as separate forums - people who have been using Macs for some time can still have technical problems...

Edit: Perhaps instead of "New to Mac" it's something like "Mac Basics" where we include various stickies, like the Windows to Mac networking one, the repairing permissions one, etc., as well as have people post their specific questions.

Overall, I like the reorg, and think it will make everything a little simpler, although perhaps having the Site Information forum at the top may make things like the Rules/FAQs more readily spotted by newcomers.

One last obvious question - will the contributions be reopened after the change? Many of us are chomping on the bit to give to the site.

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I personally think it's too many forums to click through. I would try to combine and consolidate some of the forums to half the number as it stands now.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I like the "new to mac" forum idea. You're right--very inviting. I think it would be good if this forum kind of had separate rules -- you know, not so harsh on people with redundant posts, that sort of thing. The idea is, if you post a question here, you're a newbie, and so mistakes are excused.

I think it's okay that this forum is redundant with technical help. I actually have more of a problem with a "technical help" forum separate from "mac hardware" and "mac software." I think you're going to have more redundancy there, with people putting software tech questions in the software forums, etc.

Overall, nice job rearranging the forums. Makes a lot of sense!

EDIT: Here's an idea -- why not make "new to mac" its own major category, possibly with "switcher advice" and "technical help" as two subcategories, and then move it up higher in the forum hierarchy. This would make it easier for newbies to spot right away.

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

7. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

post your recommended list. it's easier said than done.

arn

8. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

archive's will stay as they are.... with wasteland in it.

arn

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I can't see how that would work. There are so many posts/threads. If forums were combined there would be SO much in them (in terms of new threads/posts) that they would be a nightmare to look at.

With more forums you can look at what you want to look at, what interests you. If you want to see everything "New Posts" is just the job.

10. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I agree... do you think better to only have New to Mac and have software/hardware forums seperately?

arn

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Your proposal seems very concise. Redundancy can become a problem, so hopefully this will help. With the current general "Current Events" be expected to be posted on the "Community Discussion?"

Any decision on how to handle "Contributor Status?"

It sounds as though this change over will occur this weekend. Will be good timing since next week appears to be a very busy time.

I'm hoping that you will continue with the frequent Polls. They are appreciated, thank you arn. ;)

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yeah-- I think so--just post tech support requests in the relevant hardware/software/ipod forums except as I edited above, maybe have a separate, more forgiving newbie tech support area.

13. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I don't mind the current number of forums; I tend to use the 'search' facility for something I want and see where I wander from there. But that habit could have developed from the frequent overlapping of stories etc that I've encountered during my brief tenure here.

The Techie Help and New To Mac sounds valuable.

14. emw macrumors G4

emw

I disagree - I'd rather have more specific forums so that I don't need to read through things I'm uninterested in just to get to some other items that I might like.

I think we may need to be specific as to which forums should contain "requests for help" since many might post in the Hardware forum instead of the "Technical Problem Solving" forum, leading to some confusion.

To arn's point, though, what's the best way to split it up? I'm not sure, but perhaps to have specific "Discussion" vs. "Technical Support" areas would be helpful.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I like the separate Technical Support forum, since many members like to provide tech support, and this would be a good consolidated area to contain it. Besides, in many cases you may not really know if it's a hardware or software issue (bad RAM, or bad preferences, for example). Of course, then that limits what people would actually talk about in some of the hardware/software forums, I suppose.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I agree with whatever you think is best, Arn. You do such a great job! :) Also it doesn't end up impacting me as a reader that much, since vBulletin has the new posts thing which doesn't go forum-by-forum.

I do think the new-to-mac sort of idea is nice...maybe as a sub-forum in whatever other forum handles help? That seems to make structural sense, but to be honest, I'm not sure how many newbies will really understand sub-forums. :( Were there a prominently placed welcome-to-Macland kind of forum, I think it would make the place seem even more friendly to new people. And I'd promise to leave my sharpened stick in the troll thread. :D

After all, it was really the tech help kind of stuff that got me hooked on MR. I didn't post till after I bought my iBook at all, but I learned soooo much about what was going on with Macs when I was making my buying decision in the previous months just by reading those posts. I probably should've read the rumors more closely, so I would've had a glimmer that could've avoided me buying Office.X two weeks before 2004 was announced, but.... ;)

Anyway, I think your idea sounds good, Arn!

16. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

rearranged a couple of things... took out Technical Help.

original post has most recent edits

arn

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes, Hardware and Software should be kept separate as you have it listed in your proposal above.

I also think that the number of forums proposed is well thought out and should serve us all very well.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Why not try "New to Mac/Techical Help" and see how it works for a while?

19. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I like the new setup...

I'm not sure the General Apple/Tech forum is needed...
    - General Apple and Tech Discussion - goes under Mac News, iPods/iTunes, Mac Hardware and Mac Software, wherever it's appropiate...
    - Current Events - may be moved up under Mac News
    - Technical Problem Solving - should be split in two, one for OS/software problems under Mac Software and hardware problems under Mac Hardware

Also, maybe Video and Animation also could include Movies stuff...?

20. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I like it.

Changes made. (see original post)

arn

21. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Oh, yes. This is looking very good now!

22. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Would it be possible to move the tabs to the center of the page? Also, how many people here use the calendar feature? I think it could go.
    -dave

23. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I like...

But maybe Marketplace should go somewhere else (since you also can buy/sell software and 3rd party accessories)...? Maybe in Community...?

24. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well, I've never used it, but I think some people do use it to check birthdays. I know I certainly appreciated my birthday thread.

25. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Ya... the marketplace is a bit out of place, but most people are selling hardware... perhaps community.

And I don't use the calendar, but it's easy enough to keep.

Tabs are gonna stay on the right.

arn