Forum Titles

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Spanky Deluxe, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Mar 17, 2005
    London, UK
    Just a thought, maybe it would be better if the following forums in the Mac Hardware section be renamed to be a little more general:

mac pro & Power Mac -> Apple Professional Desktops
    |-discuss Apple's Mac Pro, Power Mac -> discuss Apple's Mac Pro, Power Mac and older models

MacBook & MacBook Pro -> Apple Laptops
    |-discuss Apple's MacBook, MacBook Pro, iBook, PowerBook and older models

iMac, eMac, Mac mini -> Consumer Desktops
    |-discuss Apple's iMac, eMac, Mac mini and older models

The current titles, particularly the laptop forum seems to favour the Intel models quite a bit. Having it split up into professional desktops, laptops and consumer desktops could make it a bit clearer to new users and might reduce posting in the wrong forums a bit more.

Just my 2 cents!

2. spicyapple macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    I like how it is now. Seems more current and less confusing. Because I know some pros who use iMacs as their professional desktop. :)
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I like it the way it is too. Plus the whole "look at me, I have a PROFESSIONAL computer" thing is silly to me. If you tell someone, "Go here because you have an iMac," it's much less ambiguous than "Go here, because you have a consumer desktop."
  4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Note that the MacBook & MacBook Pro forum has a subtitle of apple laptops, including older models (iBook, PowerBook). That's to try to address this concern.

But forum titles, no matter what they are, should be interpreted loosely. When starting a new thread, you should pick the most appropriate forum, whether or not the description is an exact match.

If somebody had a question about an old Tangerine iBook, it's OK for them to put it in the MacBook & MacBook Pro forum, the Mac Basics and Help forum, or even the Apple Collectors forum, depending on their question.
  5. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    as well, if you're going to divide the consumer desktops from the Pro desktops, why wouldn't you separate the notebooks, too? you wouldn't because that doesn't make sense.

i like it the way it is. i actually don't pay too much attention to forum titles anymore - i just browse through them all and see which ones i'm interested in/can offer help.
  6. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2006
    Likewise but i tend to stick to the Mac Basics and Help.

the titles are fine how they are and i wouldnt think that they are confusing to anyone. If they have a problem with an ibook and find that the MB & MBP does not have ibook in the name, then they would post in the Mac Help
  7. imacintel macrumors 68000

Mar 12, 2006
    I truly like it better the way it was before the change(Macrumors went through puberty!:p) I really don't know why. It just seemed-simpler.