ForumJump

Discussion in 'Site News' started by arn, Jan 31, 2003.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I disabled ForumJump for now to see if this improves server function. Reportedly this taxes the forum disproportionately.

Sorry if anyone relied on it. Let me know if this is a "very" important feature for you.

arn

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I use it a lot, but its not that critical. I'll just hit the link at the top of the page to get back to the forums. But do you still have links to 'who's on line' and the other non forum links that were in the pull down selection.

D

3. vniow macrumors G4

Yeah, I use the who's online feature a lot on active days, I copied the link to a text file that I keep open all the time so it's no big deal for me, just would be easier to click on a link.

Other then that I don't mind at all.[​IMG]

4. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

If I may ask, why does it increase load on the server? I can understand the javascript (or whatever it is that causes the jump when you select it without hitting GO) might increase load, (for which the obvious solution would be to disable it going automatically) but I'm slightly at a loss as to how jumping from one forum to another increases load more than people navigating back up to the forum list level, and then down to the forum they want.

Of course then, I'm not a forum admin, so admittedly I don't know all the details. If you could shed some light on that, it'd be appreciated. :)

And yes, BTW, I happen to use it as my primary method of navigation... perhaps a horizontal list of forums at the bottom of the screen could serve as a replacement if the removal is permanent?

5. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Not sure what else was in there. You can find out "Who's Online" by clicking on the "Current Active Users" title.

arn

6. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I think it's due the the fact that it's dynamically generated and possible ineffecient SQL queries...

I'll see about the other links

arn

7. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Okay, makes sense. Why not just build the menu yourself then, changing it whenever the forum names/numbers change. That would keep the convenience, and reduce server load then.

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I used to use it all the time...but I guess I'll get used to it not being there...

somehow... :( ;)

9. job macrumors 68040

job

the only thing that bugs me is after reading an extremely long page, i have to scroll all the way back to the top for forum navigation. i just wish there was some button to take you right to the top of the page

oh well. no big loss though.

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

There is a button for that-- and hell, it's right on your keyboard-- it's called "home".

;)

pnw

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thank you Paul, you know if never tried or used that! talk about feeling silly!

12. job macrumors 68040

job

damnit...i hate it when that happens...

i'm going to go sit in the corner and feel stupid for a while. :p

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Haha, don't feel stupid. most people never use those keys... i've just gone to keyboard-based webbrowsing. Also, end will take you to the end, and of course page up/page down, the arrow keys, and the spacebar is also page down...

</offtopic>

pnw

14. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Holy god.. it's like a whole new computer! Dumbass home key! *kicks it*

Wow I feel awesome. haha

15. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

good for left handers

If a users mouse was plugged in on the left of the keyboard it would be a REALLY useful feature, lefthanders could then use their right hand to nav page up/down and home. Imagine if there was a row of three buttons above as well, featuring control option and command - single button mouse magic.

shame I'm right handed.:(

16. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Like the others, I did use that pop-up and missed it when it disappeared, but I will deal. If it helps the server, then I have no problem with it.

Regards,
    Gus

17. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Hey arn, any update on what's happening?

Oh and one other idea: move or copy the forum path from the top of the page to the bottom, if the other ideas wouldn't work.

18. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah the bottom left corner looks so empty. ;)

Nah the setup is pretty damn good. :D