Forward Progress vs. Backward Compatibility

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cooknn, May 5, 2005.

1. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Aug 23, 2003
    Fort Myers, FL
    I've read that Cisco and others have complained that Apple has changed OS X to the point that their software no longer works. I just experienced the switch issue with Virtual PC, and the program I use to unwarp my 360° panoramic images is crashing as well. Am I upset? No. Cisco and others may complain, but they best just get to the business of fixing their software so it runs on the current version of OS X IMHO. These guys are.

I may be wrong, but I believe that Apple knows what's best for the future of OS X. I say move on and roll with the changes. Or we could do it the way MS does. Nah...
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Fair point, but it's not always as simple as that. The companies are obliged to develop products that work in previous versions of the OS as well as Tiger which can take a substantial amount of resources.

Still, I agree with you. They really have no right to complain. They should spend that precious energy on getting some compatibility.
  3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i agree to an extent, but apple shouldnt make it impossible or too hard/too much work for them to make 'em compatible, after all that will just up the cost of the software.... but progress is progress, the software companies should always be improving their software anyways
  4. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    these companies that make the programs should have their developer releases of Tiger from day one that they were being seeded so they should have started trying to make it compatible from then.

or there is the alternative which i see some programs doing (at least from the jaguar to panther upgrade)

Make a version for panther, then make a version for Tiger, and let them be as compatible with each other as need be.