Found a 3DO!!!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by DevilDog, Feb 5, 2006.

1. DevilDog macrumors regular

DevilDog

So I'm over at my friends house today, and I'm playing Xbox with him. Then, I see these games like Rebel Assault and Wing Commander III, really old, and I'm checking them out and I'm like, wait, these aren't for comptuers? He goes, no, they're for that. He points to this thing that I thought was a VCR. I'm like "What the Hell????" Apparently, it was a R.E.A.L. by Panasonic, which is part made by 3DO. He said it was never actually released. One of his parents used to work at the Panasonic Plant that used to be in my town, and they got it for free. So we fired it up and started playing Rebel Assault. It was pretty much like the old computer version. Worked perfectly. Had discs in it, decent 3d graphics, voices, It kicked butt!!. But anyway, anybody have one of these? I've never seen one in my entire life. How much could he sell it for, it has 14 games with it and works perfectly fine. How rare are they? Sempers.

2. mac.head.high macrumors regular

mac.head.high

Is this the thing your talking about?

Attached Files:

3. mac.head.high macrumors regular

mac.head.high

4. DevilDog thread starter macrumors regular

DevilDog

5. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

Panasonic 3DO was awesome, very underrated console

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Box or bounce adventure was really nice on that system.

Bless

7. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

3DO is not rare at all. I sold mine recently for under $50, and tons of games for a couple of bucks each. Panasonic did release the REAL player, though not all stores carried it, it was widely available and very expensive like the NEO GEO. I believe in the beginning it sold for almost $700, but average priced at about $500 with one pack-in-game "Crash N Burn".

They had big problems in the beginning with a defect in the control pads. It was impossible doing certain rotations on the D-pad, so you had to loosen the screws on the controller to get it to work right.

Later on they released a top loading REAL player 3DO with smaller better made controllers that they sold a little cheaper but other than the diehard support from EA, games were far a few between.

I believe Samsung (or some other 3rd party company) had their own 3DO machine (which would be cheaper), but I'm not sure if it was ever released or not. I did get a chance to play with it at a Panasonic trade show.

3DO was a very underrated machine. I miss some great games it had, but overall it sorely lacked software and wasn't capable of doing killer Polygon graphics like Playstation was doing or was said to do.

Panasonic also murdered themselves on the console because they marketed it as a "Interactive mulitmedia" machine, and would refuse to call it a video game console. This poor marketing and terrible price point killed off the machine pretty quickly when Playstation 1 started taking off.

8. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

I had a 3DO and loved it! In fact, I'm trying to remember what I ever did with it... hmmm.

It had a game called Space Hulk that at the time was the scariest game I'd ever played. And I think its the first console I ever played MYST on. I remember a pretty cool racing game too. Kinda like a high-tech Mad Max game. Dont remember the name of it though.

I never understood why the 3DO never tooke off. I thought it was awesome.

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I still have a 3DO in the loft, with a stack of games too, Space Hulk was excellent, as was Myst and an addictive little game called Pyramid I think...

It died cos of lack of game support and development, but was way ahead at the time.

10. MondayNgt macrumors member

The fact that it retailed somewhere between $600-800 after the launch didn't help either. I remember looking at it in a game store as a kid, seeing the price and dropped my jaw.

11. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

I've got one too, no controller though, I'd sell it if someone wanted it :-D

12. mac.head.high macrumors regular

mac.head.high

I vividly remember playing that console every-time I went in my local Best Buy in my area back in the day. I was younger, but I would go in there and start on Crash & Burn. It is the only game I can remember, but it was tight for it's time. Each character had a side story kind of like twisted metal. I even think it beat games like Wipeout to the punch of high-speed futuristic track oriented combat.

Maybe I'm confusing it with the 3DO.

13. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Here's all the information on the 3DO. I still have my old one too, although it's been boxed up and in storage now for several years. The original Sony PlayStation (along with a big assist from the ridiculously high price tag of the 3DO itself) killed this system off before it ever really gained any momentum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3DO_Interactive_Multiplayer

14. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

Was there a golf game released for it? I could swear I remember walking in to an electronics store YEARS ago, and seeing someone playing a golf game on a Panasonic machine. I also remember being amazed at the graphics and then even more amazed at the price. lol.