Found a good deal on an iMac. I need convincing.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Adre, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Adre macrumors newbie

I can get a stock 15" 1GHz iMac (only this model) for an affordable amount. I will be buying another 256MB stick of RAM from Crucial. I just have a few questions:
    • My iPod is formatted for Windows. Can I retrieve the files and put them on my iMac, reformat to Mac, and sync?
    • I remember once putting around 5GB of music on my iPod and clearing my iTunes library because it was lagging. Next it synced and deleted everything. If I connect my iPod to the iMac, is autosync enabled?
    • I am used to a 20" CRT. The iMac has a maximum resolution of 1024x768. I'm used to a 1280x1024. Will the 15" be enough?
    • I would like to run games like Warcraft 3 on the iMac. The default graphics card is a Geforce4 MX. Is it easy to change this?
    • My currect computer has a P4 1.5a. How will this model of the iMac compare with it in activities like audio encoding?
    Thanks. :)

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you have a PC and are planning on reusing as much as possible on the new system, a 1GHz PowerMac G4 may be an alternative -- or a refurb PM 1.6 G5 for $100 more.

3. Adre thread starter macrumors newbie

I can get this iMac for pretty much dirt cheap (<$700), but it won't have Panther or the new iLife. I don't mind, though.
    My father will be purchasing my current PC, so it'll be all new hardware. I was thinking of buying a Radeon 9600 Pro as a GPU replacement (I've only got an overclocked Ti4200 at the moment anyway) if it's possible to change these things.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Basically cannot change anything, almost a sealed box -- especially the CPU/GPU being soldered to the logic board.

Changing/upgrading the HD, Optical drive, internal Memory require breaking some of the thermal conduits -- so they need to be redone when putting it back together with thermal pads/paste.