Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

utl768

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
is it safe to trade it into gamestop

found it like 3 months ago and wanna trade it in for some cash but i also dont wanna get in trouble by someone falsely claiming it is stolen

Wafflausages

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
I'd recommend you delete this post and figure it out yourself before a bunch of nazi's come in. There's really no way to track an iPod without internet or after you restore it.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
People lose their iPods all the time. It's really not anybody's fault but theirs when it happens. It's a $199 retail price item that they can easily get again. If it's just sitting around, go trade it in, there's no point in just keeping it in a drawer.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
If you made an honest effort to try to find the owner without results then I say restore it and trade it in. Although I do not agree with the post that people lose things all they time and it is ONLY $199 and can EASILY be replaced; we do not know the age nor financial situation of the person who lost it.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
R u sure that there isn't any information in the ipod touch that could tell you who the owner was?

Facetime information, Facebook, Itune.

Well its been 3 months so things should be done months ago. Do whatever you want with it.

RylanH16

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
Generation?

It depends on the generation. If its 4th gen or older you might as well just restore it and keep it. You're lucky to get $50 for it, probably more like $30 at best because it's been used.

davydavy

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2011
Bring it to apple. They can find the owner and email him that it was found.

I could not agree more. Most iPod Touches are owned by kids and given to them as presents. $199 is a lot of money for most people, and the decent thing to do is to try to help get it back to its owner.

Do not try to profit from this misfortune and never compromise your standards to make a quick buck.

Androidfan1x

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2012

I could not agree more. Most iPod Touches are owned by kids and given to them as presents. $199 is a lot of money for most people, and the decent thing to do is to try to help get it back to its owner.

Do not try to profit from this misfortune and never compromise your standards to make a quick buck.

lol if i had to choose to "lose" my ipod at someone's house door, i would choose one of you guys

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
maybe they can also call their Wireless Carrier to report the phone lostso they can suspend their service so whoever finds... But ok I think without internet connection it`s not possible :D

This is an ipod we're talking about, not a phone. Please read the thread and the forum it's in if you're going to reply.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Although I do not agree with the post that people lose things all they time and it is ONLY $199 and can EASILY be replaced; we do not know the age nor financial situation of the person who lost it.

If you can afford an iPod Touch, you can afford to eat, live comfortably, and are probably paying a decent amount for internet. Sure, it could be a kid, but honestly, people need to stop making assumptions that this was a huge financial loss. Losing a $2,000 laptop is a financial loss, not a $200 MP3 player. Sure it has value to the person, but that's it.

Apple will simply recycle it. They could look up who made the purchase based on serials, but it's a privacy issue. What if it was a gift? What if a guy sold it on eBay? What if it was also found somewhere else? If you find a Kindle, Amazon pretty much just tells you to throw it away.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
If you can afford an iPod Touch, you can afford to eat, live comfortably, and are probably paying a decent amount for internet. Sure, it could be a kid, but honestly, people need to stop making assumptions that this was a huge financial loss. Losing a $2,000 laptop is a financial loss, not a $200 MP3 player. Sure it has value to the person, but that's it.

That is a load or pretencious crap. How do you know the person did not save and save and save and this was the ONE thing, the ONE luxury that had? How do you know it wasn't a gift to someone far less fortunate than the receiver? How do you know they did not buy it used at a percentage of new but still saved and saved every spare penny? How do you know it wasn't some kid who worked part time after school for months to save enough to buy it...certainly those people cannot run right out and buy another so easily.

Sure, maybe the fact that they had one means they probably were not homeless and starving, but to assume they are living comfortably and paying a decent amount for internet AND can afford to replace it easily, based only on the retail price of the device is just a false, baseless set of assumptions.

My son has an ipod touch, he saved his allowance for almost a year to buy it; if he lost it, he would be devistated and it would take him another year to buy another....not easily replaced and yeah, it would be a huge deal to him.

And using your logic, how could you assume losing a $2000 laptop is a huge financial loss, based on which level of income? Someone who has a household income of $30,000 losing a $200 device may feel the hit far harder than someone making $3,000,000 a year losing a $2000 device.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
That is a load or pretencious crap. How do you know the person did not save and save and save and this was the ONE thing, the ONE luxury that had? How do you know it wasn't a gift to someone far less fortunate than the receiver? How do you know they did not buy it used at a percentage of new but still saved and saved every spare penny? How do you know it wasn't some kid who worked part time after school for months to save enough to buy it...certainly those people cannot run right out and buy another so easily.

Sure, maybe the fact that they had one means they probably were not homeless and starving, but to assume they are living comfortably and paying a decent amount for internet AND can afford to replace it easily, based only on the retail price of the device is just a false, baseless set of assumptions.

My son has an ipod touch, he saved his allowance for almost a year to buy it; if he lost it, he would be devistated and it would take him another year to buy another....not easily replaced and yeah, it would be a huge deal to him.

And using your logic, how could you assume losing a $2000 laptop is a huge financial loss, based on which level of income? Someone who has a household income of $30,000 losing a $200 device may feel the hit far harder than someone making $3,000,000 a year losing a $2000 device.

well put! :D

BugBytes

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
You might get better money on eBay than trading it in.

*Assuming that you have tried your best to contact the owner

hoodedwarbler12

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2012
Tennessee

Um I'm 15 and I have 0.4 Mbps internet at its best and $200 is quite a large amount of money to me. Sure, I might not be average. But still, that seems like an insensitive thing to say.

Mdwall

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Or see if you could figure out the apple ID and email them that you found it?

Aug 5, 2012
OP financial gain from anothers loss is disgusting.

Think before you do this.

Sell the item and give ALL the money to charity

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
Have you tried to boot it up and look at the email? maybe you can use the device to send an email to the owner and see if they reply.

... if the device has a password lock I don't know if there is a way around that though...

Also where did you find it? If it was at a store or business of some sort ask for a manager and return it to them. Most retail stores have a policy where they will hold items in lost and found for 60 or 90 days and if nobody claims the item then the person who found it gets to keep it. They will write down your contact info and call you if that is the case. I use to work at Costco back in the day and that is the policy we had. Just be sure to neeeevveeerr give it to a regular employee or to the customer service desk, employees tend to pocket things like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.