Found and Apple display

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by markjones05, Jun 6, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I found this apple display like the one shown in the picture on the side of the road and picked it up. It looks like it may still work but the cord that plugs into your machine is cut off half way down. Is this worth keeping? Can it be repaired?

Attached Files:

2. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

They probably threw it out, that monitor suffered a high rate of failure soon after the warranty expired -- somewhere around 99.9% over the long haul.

There are some sites that show you what parts need to be repaired, after the snap, crackle, pop moves into complete failure.

Cool monitors, but they do need some TLC.

3. macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    All you'd really need to do right now is just splice in a new 3 prong plug. Once you've done that, plug it in and see if it works.. if not, put it back where you got it, and wipe your fingerprints off.
    Dont know about NY, but i believe it's illegal to throw monitors in the trash here.

4. TBR
    macrumors 6502

God it's rare enough to see another working mac over here in 'sunny' England, never mind at the side of the road.

5. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

6. macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    crt have dusts which has been linked to certain diseases. wouldnt touch old monitors

7. 7on
    macrumors 601

7on

Sounds like a school. When schools generally throw out monitors/computers they cut all the cables to dissuade people taking them and/or selling them. Not my campus though, they have an auction :)

8. macrumors 603

jeremy.king

It was the video cable that was cut, not the electric plug. IIRC, that was a VGA monitor so splicing, while still doable, is a little more complicated.

9. macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    hmm... must have misread that.. yeah, toss the thing, it's really not worth it.. unless you want to either open it up and replace the entire cable or splice 15 tiny 24(or 18)awg wires.

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

11. macrumors 68030

superbovine

heh that kinda sucks. they good at least donate them which would actually better because they could just call someone to donate them and they would come pick them up.

12. macrumors 603

The lead and other toxics in CRTs make them difficult and expensive to dispose of--I think it's $25 where I live--so NOBODY wants one, even if it's old but working. No doubt that's why somebody dumped it off beside a road--no fees for that!

Sorry you got stuck with a bum monitor, but hey, the case is sort of retro-cool, so maybe you can pay to have the CRT discarded properly and use the case for a fishtank or something.

13. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

People will gladly haul away any computer equipment you might have free of charge: just leave the stuff in a car with the window rolled down.

Of course they may demand your CDs and car stereo as a tip while they're at it. ;)

14. macrumors 6502

Auction, heh. My school just gives em out for free. They gave away 75 15" Dell and 17" Cybervision monitors in one day :cool:

15. thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Anybody want a 17" apple crt monitor in need of fish? i'll start the bidding at 1 cent plus shipping and handeling. :)

16. macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

That would make a sweet fish tank. Put acrylic over where the monitor was..... then when they got too big, just plug it in, and you've got a fish-boiler.

17. macrumors 6502

PowerMacMan

WOW! I never knew that CRT's are so dangerous! I'm going to tell my dad we NEED an Apple Display! :D

Or the new ones whenever they come...

18. macrumors 68000

tjwett

usually when someone cuts the wire on an appliance it's to tell potential garbage pickers "Hey! This thing is broken. Beware."