found cord cleaning room

Discussion in 'iPod' started by frunkis54, Jun 12, 2011.

1. macrumors 65816

Apr 2, 2009
    ok I'm doing the dreaded cleaning my closet out and i found and older power adapter with connector. i think its the older firewire style. will it work with current iPods/iphone/ipad? is it safe to use with them?

pic of power adapter and connector

Attached Files:

2. macrumors regular

Sep 20, 2008
    I believe that Apple dropped firewire support a before the iPad came out so it probably won't work with anything newer. To the best of my knowledge plugging it into a device that doesn't support firewire charging won't hurt it so give it a try.
  3. thread starter macrumors 65816

Apr 2, 2009
    nope it doesn't i get device not supported.

oh well.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Sep 25, 2003
    That connector is 12V, not 5V like USB is why it won't work. Apple used different pins so things won't get damaged, but it won't work...
  5. macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    Belkin used to have a 30-pin to 6-pinFW adapter. We used it for an iPod mini that supported FW, but came with USB cords. The computer we used at the time didn't have USB2, but had 4-pin FW.

At the very least, keep that FW cable. You don't see the "thin" cord FW cables too often anymore.
  6. macrumors 6502

May 15, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Supported iPods with FW charging:

Classic up to 80GB and 160GB 6th gen (not the current 160GB or the 120GB)
    Nano up to 3rd gen (fat nano)
    iPod Touch 1st Generation

Anything later than that has had FW charging removed and only can use USB.
  7. macrumors 6502

Dec 6, 2010
    I have never charged my my iPhone with anything other than Firewire 400. The original cable that shipped with my iPhone broke quickly after purchased, and I have been using the Firewire cable from my 3rd gen iPad ever since.

side note - I can not sync my iPhone over Firewire, and I am certainly not implying that I am. But I charge my iPhone every night by using my Firewire cable.
  8. macrumors G5

Jun 27, 2007
    First generation iPhone works with the old firewire cable.

Recent devices only charge with current cable.