Found Dog

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Fearless Leader, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

We found a black lab, 4 to 5 months old (we think), has white belly and some white on her paws. Just sitting in our front porch in the rain. She had a collar but no tag, and we took her to the vet to check for electronic tags, nope. We have a sign in our yard.

Are we doing enough?
    we really like her and have been wanting a dog.
    is it wrong to keep her?
    how long before we stop looking for the owner?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think you're doing enough, unless you wanted to post a few signs (don't mention too much identifying info, lest people claim her as theirs even when she isn't).

A dog that age in good health is almost undoubtedly a runaway. While I know you've wanted one, consider the kids who just lost their puppy. I'm glad you put the sign up, because she probably didn't wander more than a few blocks.

3. iRachel macrumors 6502a

I would check with the local humane society and/or police department to see if anyone has reported the dog missing.

4. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

that's so nice of you to have taken the dog in and try to find its owners! as a dog owner myself, i'm sure the owners of the dog you found will be very grateful for your kindness!

i'd suggest a couple of other things to find the owner - try posting on craigslist and posting "dog found" flyers in your neighborhood. flyers would be great particularly around any dog parks or walking trails in your area.

if my dog were ever lost (which i hope never happens! :eek: though i must admit the chances are low since he's an indoor dog and hates being outside by himself), i'd most likely look around my neighborhood, ask neighbors (and the mailman, UPS driver, anyone who is regularly in the area), and check craigslist.

good luck! i'm sure this will get you some good karma... :)

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If the dog is under 6 months it wont have any tags yet as rabies shots are after 6 months.

One option is to call the local pound and see if any dogs have been reported missing. I believe if after a few weeks no one claims the dog you can adopt it.

6. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

we've had a collie for about 5 years and he died from cancer last august. He ran away once and some how someone called 11miles away 2 days latter with our dog.

thanks for the quick responses and ideas.

7. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

With out a doubt keep up the efforts to find her owners....I know if my dogs ever left I'd be forever in the debt of any person to find them and return them home.

I'd put up signs for lost, female dog. And on the sign explain why your not putting lots of details, and ask that anyone who lost a dog to come and see you at once. If you live in a small town, try going to the closet vet and see if there are any signs for a lost dog, and ask the people working there is they have seen anyone with this dog come in recently.

Also she's very cute :)

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i say that you're doing enough. maybe put a few more signs, and ask to see if anyone reported a missing dog.

then just keep her

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Psst, do you think you could resize that? Or post the clickable thumbnail or something? :eek:

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would say lost female Lab found. But yes leave off a lot of the identifying info for the dog off because labs are very expensive dogs. If it is pure breed lab some paid around 300 bucks for it as a puppy. As expensive dogs people will want to get for free. Even more so since it is a puppy so it has a lot of time to grow.

If you can not find the owner in a month or 2 you did get you self a dog that is extremely indigents (and some time I think labs are 2 intelligent) and a dog that will love to just play and will require a lot of attention to keep her happy. I happen to love labs my self and plan to after college and when I get a house to get myself a lab. Had one at home before I went to college and she was just a great dog and she still gets extremely exited when ever I come home during a break. It is amazing how well they will remember your voice even though they have not heard it for more 6 months a time. I just simply saw her name and a few words and her bark goes from an meaner bark to an exited yipping.
    If you can not tell I love that lab and it would be wrong to deny some other kid that love of a dog that will return it just because you want it.

12. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

diffidently not, not as cute small.

noooo they took away my puppy:mad: :rolleyes:

13. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Hold onto it and post signs and check the humane society. After like a couple weeks either keep it or put a classified ad in the paper. if you send it to the humane society typically after a week or so if no one takes it they will put them down. I am sure that there would be plenty of people looking for a free black lab.

Very cute. I hope it finds a home.

14. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

By "they" do you mean the rightful owners? If so thats fantastic.

I do feel for you though, my sister's a vet and we had a foster kitten here for a while. We wanted to keep him really badly, but he found a loving home. Broke our hearts, but we know he's safe now.

15. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

no, it is still in our possession with no signs of an owner.

by they took my puppy I was referring to the extremely large photo i had. :D

edit: I feel like more photo bombardment.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

good news guys.
    owner came by last night and picked her up, the owner lives behind us and over to the right one.
    They were very happy.

17. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Thats awesome, congrats on the safe return. Hopefully your act of kindness will materialize into a new puppy for you!