found some random tiger thing on limewire

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nifty_nigel10, Jul 16, 2004.

1. nifty_nigel10 macrumors member

hey, i thot id search limewire for os x tiger for fun, to my surprise there was a result, a .dmg file, but it was only 4-5mb or so, anyone know what it actually is, just search "Mac OS X Tiger" obviously, but try it and see if it appears for anyone, and does anyone know what this misterious file is?? :eek:

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, it's not Tiger.

I'd be very wary of running any .dmg file I downloaded from a non-trusted source, no matter what it was called. Suppose it was 273MB? Would that make it more likely you'd run it? I mean, hey, you're free to run whatever you want, but assume it'll wipe your disk after emailing your account info to Russia. If that's an acceptible risk, download it and see.

3. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I found an MP3 file from 'questionable source' and it was weird.

I downloaded it, then tried to delete it, then it say so-and-so can't be deleted, so I did a secure empty trash on it, and got rid of it.

I think it's some kinda virus or trojan.

If anybody wants to examin at the file, I can send it to you if you want.... it's in an encrypted .dmg file.

4. nifty_nigel10 thread starter macrumors member

"Well, it's not Tiger."

i know its obviously not tiger (not meaning to sound rude) but i was just curious as to what it was!

5. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

if you didn't have newbie under your name I wouldn't be able to tell :rolleyes:

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

OK. We all agree it isn't Tiger. We also know it's on LimeWire, where anyone can put anything and call it whatever they want. And we know it isn't very big, so it's likely not anything all that useful.

It is very unlikely that it is anything that you'd want. So why bother figuring out what it is? Download it and install it if you'd like. But, like I said, be prepared for nasty consequences of installing unknown software, possibly with superuser access (if it asks for your admin password during the install) on your system, just to see if something Tiger-like shows up.

7. lisius_kent macrumors member

I downloaded it

I took the chance and downloaded it. It was konfabulator.

8. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

ahahah, thats basically what Tiger is, right? ;)

I tryed to download it, but put me in line for over 20 minutes.

9. spikymohawks macrumors newbie

spikymohawks

...Funny, I put that file on the p2p world

Hey, sorry for the mistake it was essentially pictures i had gotten from my dads computer (apple employee) im only 15 yrs old and thaught it would be cool to show some mac users there future. I compressed it into a dmg file but when i saw this forum i tryed it and it didnt work. I learned my lesson and next time will test what i put on the p2p world. as everybody should do!!
    Sorry
    XANDER

10. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

so your Dad works for Apple and you got some pics from his compy? hhmmm... that could get people in trouble you know.

11. nifty_nigel10 thread starter macrumors member

sorry, im new to all this, wot's konfabulator?

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

This. Pretty cool, actually.

13. nifty_nigel10 thread starter macrumors member

hey, that's pretty sweet, thanks, ill def download that, thanks :)